North Wales Coast - Video in the making

Hi all, I have been a donating member for the past year and decided to join the chat side of things, I am currently just in the early stages of filming of what I hope will be a video documentary / diary of some of our feathered visitors over the year

Can anybody confirm any areas near to Kinmel Bay and Rhyl area of Snow Bunting sightings? I would dearly love to get a few shots, they have been known to visit here and they would make a great addition, any help or species suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards James 

• Hello James and welcome to the Community; I haven't heard of any recent sightings for Snow Buntings in the Kinmel Bay area although it's quite early in the season for them at the moment. My last sighting of them at Kinmel was 20th February 2016 when they were just to the right of the car park at the end of St.Asaph Avenue just the other side of the coastal path by the rocks. Sorry I haven't got any up to date information but if I hear of any Snow Buntings in the N.Wales area I will post the info here. Your best chance may be to subscribe to one of the Bird Sightings services for instant alerts. The only other Snow Bunting site I have seen them was on The Wirral at Wallasey but again that was two years ago on 4th December 2017.

• Hi Hazy, thanks for the reply, I did reply directly through my email but not sure if I did it right so you may get another reply later.
    I live very close to where you sighted the buntings and it was reading your article earlier that inspired me to try and get a few shots to add to my video, I have always been interested in birds and as a kid they would always find me and I wanted to car for them all but we grow up and adult life becomes a distraction but now I'm middle aged I would like to return to some of the passion I had from youth.
    I have always enjoyed filming various stuff as a hobby and thought I could combine the hobby, I'll post the finished article to YouTube and post the link on here for any interested parties.
    I have footage so far of the following, grey wagtail, dipper, shoveler, wigeon, teal, egret and looking forward to gathering more Thumbsup
    Kind regards James
  • I only got into birdwatching around 8 or 9 years ago so relatively new to this hobby but it has opened up a new window of interest combined with photography and enjoying the great outdoors. Good luck with your filming and finding the winter buntings along with other species. I also saw Snow Buntings a couple of years ago at Leasowe (Wirral) beach area (past the golf course). If I see any this season I will post up the info. Look forward to your videos once they are finished.
  • Hi Hazy thanks for the message and the added info, I am by no means an expert myself but I have a passion and I think that is the right type of ingredients for any hobby "new or old" I looked at the pictures you took of the bunting and they are great and the added bonus of the pebble background makes them stand out beautifully.
    I will post my video once edited

Regards James