Pigeon

Hi I just wanted to say thanks for the advice about the lost pigeon that we have had for the last few days. We have just gave it to a Pigeon rescuer who said it was a she and it was a fancy roller?? Thanks again

• Thanks for letting us know. A Roller would not have survived for long in the wild. Well done for helping. You have saved a life there. They literally roll and tumble in the air.
  • Hi there, wondered if you have any advice for an injured pigeon? I can’t see and blood /marks from possible cats getting hold of it. It was in my drive earlier today and wouldn’t fly off, I got out the car and it flew a small distance but kept within my garden . I have placed it in a cardboard box out of harms way and it has some bird food and water in the box too. Will it be ok in the box overnight?
  • Hi. If you're ok about picking it up then I would recommend giving the pigeon a thorough check. Cats often get them under the wing or on the back of the neck. If a cat has injured it (hopefully that is not the case) then it would need antibiotics immediately. If it is indeed unscathed then by all means keep it in a box overnight. I'd suggest putting the box in a garage or shed to prevent a fox or cat from getting to it. Vets will not treat a wild pigeon, so please don't take it to one. Check www.helpwildlife.co.uk to see if there is a pigeon friendly rescue nearby. Whereabouts are you located?
  • Hi, I read your post about helping the pigeon and wanted to say well done, so many would ignore a relatively common species of bird but glad you didn't, I think pigeons are such beautiful birds if people took the time to examine their iridescent plumage, I rescued a young woodpigeon who absolutely hated me at first and I kept it in a cage while it grew then all of a sudden it imprinted on me and would make a whistling noise when I entered the garage, I had an avery then so I decided to let it join the rest of the residents until it was time to free it which I thought would be in the month or two but ended up being 2 years! It would sit on my shoulders, preen my hair and then one day in spring I thought in all fairness it deserved a shot at life outside of the confines of my garden so it I took it to a local park where birds were often fed throughout the year by visiting walkers and off it went and I'm sure I saw it a few times because when I walked there there was a a pigeon that would kind of hang around even when the other pigeons had flown into the trees and I hope that it paired up and went onto enjoy its freedom!

Regards James