Why so many collared doves

My garden is popular with black/brown birds, sparrows, robins, jackdaws, wood pigeons and collared doves but today as i fed the birds in my garden i looked up at the silver birch tree and after counting i counted a total of 19 collared doves which i was gobsmacked at the number of them together as i have never experienced so many, but what i would like to know is why so many? As i only usually see perhaps two-four at most together, so to see 19 together was a wow moment, so i am just curious?

• I feel really lucky to see the birds coming to the garden, sometimes it is like the bushes and ground are just moving with birds, there were six chaffinches the other day.
    Saturday morning was very, very quiet as it was ever so windy in the garden but about 1000 a couple of brave blue tits took their chances.
    It fascinates me.
  • This photograph should really be in the very bad pics of wonderful wildlife.                (I can't get the light from the window right)

and this is a new little visitor.

• I used to have a resident flock of 20+ Collared Doves in a group of leylandii at the bottom of my garden, but since my neighbour cut down the trees, I am down to the two or three at a time that most people here report. So i imagine that it's a question of a nice sheltered place to sit in company. I wonder where they all hang out now?