Woodpecker

I think I’ve just spotted my first greater spotted woodpecker on my garden table, very distinctive markings, so excited (Bolton)!

• How lovely to get a woodpecker in your garden Barbara; adult males will have red on their nape (behind the top of their head, neck) and also under the rump area whereas adult females will have no red on their head/neck at all, only under their rump. Juveniles start with a red cap to the top of their head and then start moulting into their adult plumage during the autumn/winter months when males will gain the red nape and female will with have no red on the head/nape. They are very attractive birds so hope you continue to get visits from them.

• They often prefer hanging feeders with nuts, fatballs, etc, so nice to see one on your table. Good luck for future visits.
  • Lovely sight :o) We had 3 (Mum, Dad and Chick) summer of 2018, and they fed exclusively from hanging peanut feeder (as Nige suggested). Unfortunately, not had any this summer apart from one fly-by.... obviously didn't like the neighbours lol
  • It's really exciting to see a woodpecker hanging on the feeder. I am not sure about lesser or greater but the one which came to ours looks like a greater. It looked big against the other birds and it was eating sunflower hearts.
    Reading your super information Hazy I think it was a female, I will look better next time, I hope there is a next time.