Fledgling wood pigeon or collar dove. - HELP

Hi all, 

Found a fledgling next to a busy dual-carriageway. No trees, undergrowth or bushes in sight. Pouring with rain and freezing cold so rescued it (only kind thing to do in the circumstance). It was not difficult to pick up although it hopped around a little bit. 

Due to being found on Saturday morning, we've been unable to reach any rescue centers and the ones we've managed to get in touch with today, either aren't too interested or are too far away to collect. (Sadly we have no means to travel to one as no car). 

We've followed general advice read online and in this forum, we got it back, warmed it up and it perked up - a lot. It;s been a happy little chappy, drinking and eating (pecking up food for itself) but this afternoon has become very lethargic and tends to just sleep/sit. We've been keeping it warm without trying to cook it but it's not really doing much now. We really don't want it to die, it's a lovely friendly little thing and deserves a chance. It doesn't do much chirping atall either.

Initially it tried to do some flying but wobbles over when it does. It now seems to have given up on that idea and prefers to trot around the house or sit. It doesn't wobble around when walking, only when it tried to fly, it doesn't seem to either have the hang of it yet or we're worried there is something wrong with it. It does not appear to have any injuries. We've bought it some bird feed which has seeds etc, we've tried it on some small bread lumps. 

We live in a mostly built-up area with barely any outside space and lots of neighbouring cats. We don't want to leave it outside as the neighbour cat has been seen several times savaging birds. 

We would really appreciate some help, ie - How long until it can fly, and therefore be released. How much it should eat/drink. Should we be thinking about force-feeding it/forcing fluids into it.

We've read somewhere that some green-looking droppings means it's starving, however they seem to come and go. Please see the pics and any advice would be amazing!

• Do we take the peas out of their skin or is skin-on ok?
  • Hello Lee, I am about 12 miles away from you, living near Knutsford so if the young woodpigeon survives the night alright I can arrange to call in tomorrow and collect the bird and then take it to Lower Moss Wood wildlife hospital. I will send you a link via the private messaging system on here; it will be in invitation (friend) form which you just click accept and then I will be able to take your address details via that private messaging system as this page is open to the world wide web and better not to put phone numbers or addresses via these posts. I will send the Private Message to connect now and then I will keep in contact using the messaging system on here. Hazel.

Regards, Hazel 

• Many thanks aitch ... here's hoping the little bird makes it through the night!
    Sorry Lee, don't know answer re the peas, likely be a bit messy if skins are removed!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It's done extremely well with the peas! It seemed to really enjoy them in fact! Certainly seemed to perk up a bit anyway. How often do the peas need to be done? I honestly don't think it's in any real danger, I don't think it's at risk of dying through the night, we've had it since Saturday and although seems underweight, it looks healthy and bright-eyed. - I think!
  • Hi Lee, did you get the invite from me via the private messaging system on here ? Just need to press the "accept" button. If you use that messaging system to communicate with me then you can send me your address/phone number and we can arrange a suitable time tomorrow to collect the woodpigeon from you. Do not write your address/phone details in this post as anyone on the web can see it. Glad the young bird seems to be doing well and hopefully tomorrow we will be able to take it to the local wildlife hospital for you.

Regards, Hazel 

• Sounds like heartening news Lee , am sure MC will answer about the peas soon, should be home from work shortly!

Edit:  here's what he advised back on pg 2 ...***

Give about 8 peas for starters and then wait for about half an hour. Make sure it's coming out of the other end

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• If they are frozen peas just boil them up and then cool them off with cold water and feed as they are. Try another 8 now and then the same amount about half an hour later. After that, place it in a box ( as described by Wendy) and place a cover on top. Wood pidges are far more highly strung than their feral cousins, so a dark and quiet room overnight will be ideal. Start the feeds as early as you can tomorrow. Hopefully you can liaise with Hazy and have the pidge collected and taken to the rescue centre. Peas are only a short term solution, but fine for this situation. Hopefully the pidge will make it through another night and you will have saved its life.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hi Hazel, thank you for offering to help. If it makes it through the night, we will contact you tomorrow and arrange for you to pick it up if that's still ok? We've grown quite attached to the little thing to be honest and it will be a shame to see it go but at least we know it's going somewhere that can provide it the help it needs. Could we ask that you give the sanctuary our telephone number as we would love to know how it's getting on. Could you bring a small box for it though as it's currently residing in my storage box at the moment!
  • Hi Lee, sounds as if the young woodpigeon is doing well with your help so well done. Just use the messaging system to give me your details of address/phone number and a time you would like the bird collected and my husband and I will ensure it gets to the wildlife hospital within half an hour of collecting it. I will find a suitable box to transport it in and will also pass on your details to the hospital although you may have to telephone them to find out how the bird is doing as they are often too busy caring for a variety of animals with limited staff numbers to telephone people. Will wait for your details (via the messaging system) in the morning, keep up the good work.

Regards, Hazel 

• Wonderful sounds perfect Hazel. We really appreciate you and your husband doing this. The pea situation is going great! We think the bird is still reliant upon mother feeding due to the way it's acting when feeding. There's certainly no pushing it to the back of the throat it's gobbling up the peas like there's no tomorrow. We'll give it another feed before we go to bed and hopefully will strengthen up over night