Black Kite

On 10th September 2019 I had a great view of a Black Kite over the National Trust Car Park at Rhossili, Gower Peninsular, Wales. The NT warden who was standing next to me had never seen one in the area before. Any other recent sightings?

• Lucky you, David. I've never seen one in the UK only in places like Spain and France where they are fairly common. You didn't get a photo I suppose?
    I've often wondered why they are migratory whereas Red Kites are, by and large, residents. They must have the same sort of diet.
    I read somewhere (possibly BirdGuides) that there is some speculation they could start breeding in the UK as a result of our warming climate.
  • Hi David,    nice bird to see.     I don't know whether it is the same bird mentioned HERE which had escaped from a falconer.     (scroll down the page to just past the Bluethroat bird)  

• Well found, Hazel. I'll bet that's the one - too much of a coincidence otherwise.
  • @ Tony, I remember someone seeing one a couple of years ago a mile away from our house near Tatton Park and that turned out to be from a local Falconry Centre. I came across the mention of this Black Kite purely by accident whilst I was reading the latest Birdguides weeks review. As you say, it is too much of a coincidence so I also feel it is the same bird.