Baby blackbirds

Hello,

Yesterday my 11 year old daughter went to investigate our hedge as the cat seem excited and some blackbirds seemed distressed. She found a nest and we removed the cat. The cat was looking at the nest but hadn't attacked it. She thinks that when she got the cat out of the hedge she may have disturbed the nest a bit. When I went to check, the nest was still there and since it was too high for me to look in, I took a photo from above. Please see attached the photo of three babies. I didn't have presence of mind to take a video so I can't tell if they are alive or not. I can't hear anything. We have kept the cat indoors for the time being. Is it not quite late for baby blackbirds (we are in Edinburgh)? I have been trying to discreetly check on the nest and I can't hear any chirping. However, a female blackbird has been sitting in it quietly since last night. Does this mean her chicks have survived and she is trying to keep them warm, it's a chilly day in Scotland today. I don't want to upset her anymore by sticking my phone in there again. We want to help them survive but not interfere or upset them. Thanks for your help!

• By the looks of them they won't fledge for a couple of weeks and then there will be ten days or more with three baby blackbirds spread out around your garden and neighbouring areas. Your cat could be indoors for some time.. .
  • Thanks for your replies! I'm glad the news sounds good. My daughter is trying to put worms in strategical areas for the parents! Our cat is fat and lazy and is not really that bothered about going out. She only likes to go out when one of the family are out there anyway so it's easy to keep an eye on her.
  • If you have a pets at home nearby, you cou buy some live mealworms. They are ideal for blackbirds feeding their young. You can also get them online from places like livefoodsdirect. Nestlings of that size will be fed small insects at this stage. Good luck to all.