Magpies attacking rabbits

i’ve recently noticed a big group of young magpies in our area and this morning I saw some corner and peck my rabbit! He’s ok, luckily all they got was fur.

Is this normal behaviour? I have never seen this happen in the 5 years I’ve kept rabbits. How can I deter them from my garden?

• StephieT83 said:

i’ve recently noticed a big group of young magpies in our area and this morning I saw some corner and peck my rabbit! He’s ok, luckily all they got was fur.

Is this normal behaviour? I have never seen this happen in the 5 years I’ve kept rabbits. How can I deter them from my garden?

I'm not educated in bird and animal behaviour, but I wouldn't be surprised it if was normal for magpies, certainly as a group, to attack any animal.

Why do I say this, I've watched magpies in groups attack birds and squirrels in many locations, but most instances seem to be to ward off the squirrels from their feeding area. The attacks can be quite vicious, but never seem to end with the magpies killing the squirrels.

As for keeping magpies out of the garden, short of putting up a cage or strong netting to stop them gaining access, there's little more you can do.

The easiest solution would be to build a large enclosure for the rabbits, though probably not ideal, but I don't see any other solution.

Someone else might be able to advise otherwise.