SPAM!!

I see they are at it again in the last half hour! Have flagged it as Spam.

• I am also surprised at the number of views these obviously spam posts get. I don't ever look at them. Not being a spammer, I don't know whether they get encouragement from the number of views & if they would be less inclined to post if there were no views. Ian

• Ian S said:
    I am also surprised at the number of views these obviously spam posts get. I don't ever look at them. Not being a spammer, I don't know whether they get encouragement from the number of views & if they would be less inclined to post if there were no views. Ian

I think the problem there is to report them as spam, you first have to view the post to access the 'More' icon to report it.

• Michael B said:
    Ian S said:
    I am also surprised at the number of views these obviously spam posts get. I don't ever look at them. Not being a spammer, I don't know whether they get encouragement from the number of views & if they would be less inclined to post if there were no views. Ian

I think the problem there is to report them as spam, you first have to view the post to access the 'More' icon to report it.

Thanks Mike, not being anything like a tecchie, can/should the Moderators only delete posts that are flagged as spam or could the Moderators pick them up for themselves & delete them? I suppose I am asking how often would Moderators have a trawl through the posts to identify spam. Sorry if this is a daft question. Ian

• Ian S said:

Michael B said:
    Ian S said:

Thanks Mike, not being anything like a tecchie, can/should the Moderators only delete posts that are flagged as spam or could the Moderators pick them up for themselves & delete them? I suppose I am asking how often would Moderators have a trawl through the posts to identify spam. Sorry if this is a daft question. Ian

I don't see it as a daft question, in fact, quoting one of the regulars, "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

I can only guess, but I understand the moderator(s) are volunteer(s) (may be only one, may be more, I don't know hence the bracketed 's'), not paid staff, so I guess it will be as and when they're available. Like us, they'll have a life to enjoy and family to see, and could be studying for a degree (exam season is almost finished), which I know there are quite a few graduates who volunteer with the RSPB, along with many other organisations.

I hope that helps.

• I’m getting worried about the security of this forum. I’m not very technical about this, and that’s why I’m worried about all of this. It’s got much worse since this upgrade. If anything happened like this before on this forum, it was very quickly dealt with Monday-Friday and I also knew Mrs T’s(Claires) RSPB email address, but sadly but deservingly, she’s retired and I don’t know who who I can directly contact now within the RSPB about this.

• This is getting ridiculous now!
  • I will not use this Forum again until this is cleared up. I agree with Thomo that not being security minded I worry about what could get onto my computer.
  • Spam posts still haven't been removed. Is anyone actually monitoring this Forum?
  • I’ve just posted on the RSPB’s general Facebook website as you do regularly get replies every day from RSPB staff. I’ve mentioned about all the spam on this forum and wondering whether any mods are watching this forum as lots of us including me have pressed the alert button and all the spam posts are there on this forum. I mentioned that I had phoned the RSPB about the spam posts yesterday along with a number of other menbers on this forum had phoned the RSPB Forum but nothing has happened about the spam posts. See I get a reply from the RSPB on Facebook as the RSPB staff tend to reply on Facebook, but sadly no longer on this forum it appears like they used to.
  • I’ve had a reply from the RSPB on Facebook and they say they will flag the digital team.