Hello/G’day; advice regarding birding in Snowdonia

Hello everyone,

I am visiting family over in the UK at the moment, but always try to get some birding in on my visits. 

In July we will be doing a day trip to Snowdonia and ride the Snowdon railway. I am looking at heading over a couple of days in advance. What is the birding like around Betws y Coed or another spot nearby accessible by train?

thanks,

Graham

• Hi Graham

I am in the far south of the Uk, so no help BUT why not try

HERE

They have a FB Page and also the Webcam has a Chat am sure you would receive some good advice...ENJOY!

• Unknown said:

Hello everyone,

I am visiting family over in the UK at the moment, but always try to get some birding in on my visits. 

In July we will be doing a day trip to Snowdonia and ride the Snowdon railway. I am looking at heading over a couple of days in advance. What is the birding like around Betws y Coed or another spot nearby accessible by train?

thanks,

Graham

Hello Graham, and what a lovely part of the world you're staying in.

I've spent many hours over the years mountaineering and camping in Snowdonia, something I miss very much these days.

Anyway, less of me and more for you.

I don't know too many reserves in that part of Wales, but about 30 mins drive north, there's a fabulous reserve just outside Conwy; RSPB Conwy, on the north coast. It is easy to get to, basically head east out of Betws-y-coed on the A5, then turn left on to the A470 heading for Llanrwst, and continue through there to the A55, where you head west for a very short distance, just over 0.75 miles (1 km), so keep to the left hand lane, and then turn in to the reserve.

If you wish to travel further, there are other reserves further west on Anglesey, click HERE, and it will list some on the Google Search.

RSPB South Stack, which will be around a 60 mile (95 kms each way) drive each way, is quite active and this time of year there should still be puffins.

The following links are to some of my photos from South Stack and Conwy if you want to have a nosey.

RSPB Conwy Album

RSPB South Stack Album

I hope that helps

• I would recommend South Stack, I have only been once, but as Mike said, Puffins will be still there before they leave again. I saw some choughs and a harbour porpoise when I went last year though.

RSPB conwy is well worth a visit. One of my favourite reserves!!! There is such a plethora of bird life, not to mention butterflies and wild ponies!