Sutton Park Nature Reserve - Advise required.

Hi,

I work for the local water authority and we wish to carry out some work on our assets within Sutton Park, these are located on the far west side of the park, following a pre site visit with the local parks rangers it was mentioned that one of our assets is located within a schedule 1 bird species area and previously has been home for Dartford Warbler's. I am looking to know of any known sightings of birds in this area with rough locations so we can ensure our works do not interfere with the birds habitats. Any advise or pointers to people/sites who may be able to provide any information or support would be much appreciated.

Regards

James

• Hi James,    Until one of our experts on this Community see your post and can advise you further it may be worth giving the British Trust for Ornithology a call on  01842 7500050  

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I'd have expected the park rangers to know if there are active Dartfords around, they're a species you tend to find mainly in coastal areas around the south & east. If they're in Sutton Park (near Sutton Coldfield?), they'd be a popular, unusual attraction for local birders I'm sure, so the rangers would know about it.
    If you're still having no luck, the local RSPB group would be sure to know

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/groups/suttoncoldfield

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• As per page 31 and 39 of this 'State of the UK Birds' pdf, they do occur in the Midlands so whoever said there are dartford warblers could well have seen one there. Whether they have bred, or are breeding there, I don't know. Bumping the thread as RSPB staff should know of contacts in the area.

• Bumped. Can a member of staff confirm when this post has been spotted please?
  • I have flagged it as Soam: Abuse which means it should get looked at

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    Can a member of staff confirm when this post has been spotted please?

Good Luck Robbo.

James try contacting the council (either county or local) and see if they have a Biodiversity Officer, people may be sending sightings into them.

My Flickr photos

• Alan, I personally think this community needs to be switched off if Head Office can't provide staff qualified to give an answer to this. Pretty fundamental stuff, helping Schedule 1 species.

James, did you get anything useful back following your posting of this?
  • In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    Alan, I personally think this community needs to be switched off if Head Office can't provide staff qualified to give an answer to this. Pretty fundamental stuff, helping Schedule 1 species.

Up to last year Robbo I would have disagreed with you but after the last upgrade and all the RSPB staff going MIA I couldn't care less one way or the other.

Robbo said:
    James, did you get anything useful back following your posting of this?

I contacted Birmingham council via Twitter and they don't think they have a biodiversity officer and told me to contact the rangers at the reserve.

I've just Tweeted these to see if they cover the area http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.org.uk/ if not they may pass me on to someone else.

Other contacts are the county recorders here http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.org.uk/record-submission/4587529276

As you say it's a pretty poor showing when you cannot get a response to help a Schedule One bird.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

People are (rightly) using the community to ask legitimate questions like this. I suspect we could trawl through a year of posts and not find one more worth staff responding to than this. I take your points, but even before the upgrade, it should surely still have been the case that if an organisation provides a route of communication, it should be equipped to respond. That is especially important for 100% conservation specific questions and concerns. If organisations decide not to equip themselves for that, they are not fulfilling their role. i.e. conserving the existence of endangered bird species in the case of RSPB.

Bob has flagged it as spam, so an employee (or I suspect several employees) will have been alerted. If none of them saw fit to pass the question raised on, I am not sure what is keeping them busy that is more important. If it has been passed on, I am not sure what is keeping those people more busy than answering the question.
  • The lack of any staff moderators is an issue (one that there appears to be a reluctance to address), but in this case I don't think they would be able to help much anyway. James's query is quite specific - is there any Dartford activity in Sutton Park at the moment. The reserve is owned & managed by Birmingham City Council and as Alan's found out, they will simply refer any queries to the local rangers. The RSPB wouldn't have any records of bird activity on reserves managed by other organisations.
    I'm assuming the rangers James talked to were not aware of any current activity (or they'd have said), so the only other source of information would be local birders. The easiest way to contact them is via an organised group - the RSPB Local Group I linked to, or the bird club & County recorders Alan supplied.

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index