Blue Tit Nest

I was delighted to find my bird box had a nest of bluetits. And then the weak chirps of the baby birds. Over the last 2/3 weeks, the chirrping has steadily gotten stronger and louder. I think that maybe one of the parents died from when i first started watching them. It seems it was the same parent in and out feeding all the time. I saw activity last yesterday morning. Last night, no activity and no parent in and out. This morning, the same....I don't think they could've all fledged that quickly?? If the remaining parent died, how long would the nest last waiting for food. Worried

• Hi Chris, If you've been watching them for the past two to three weeks and heard energetic chirping recently it is highly likely the young Blue Tits have fledged (I think it is approx.. 16 - 22 days from hatching on average).
    When the tits are ready to fledge, the adult bird will often hang back in the tree/twig encouraging the nestlings to leave the nest by visiting the box with an insect treat and then retreating back with the food to hopefully persuade the nestling to follow/fledge. Often the nestlings fledge early morning but last week we had a box of blue tits which fledged at 4.30pm !! If the tits have fledged the parents will continue to feed them for the next two weeks or so until they become independent and they shouldn't be far away so fingers crossed you see or hear them calling to be fed. Even if one parent dies the mate will continue to feed the chicks although success with all chicks is less likely. Because of the protection laws (Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981) you will not be able to check the box (even if you suspect the chicks have perished) until end of breeding season around beginning September time when boxes should be taken down sometime in Autumn, cleaned out and put back in place before the winter months when birds may use the boxes for roosting in during harsh weather. Good luck and hope given the timings that you blue tits did fledge successfully.     Here is an article with timings for Blue Tits that you may find interesting.

• Thanks Hazel. I really hope they're okay. I was really looking forward to seeing them fledge. I was out all dat yesterday. I'll keep a close eye today
  • HERE's a link   to some quick clips I took of one of our nest boxes of Blue Tits fledging;    some had already fledged before I noticed they were leaving at 4.30pm !!    

• Thank you Hazel. I had not sighted them around the box entrance and felt that fledging was at least a few days away. I have checked over the garden but no sighting of any feathers etc. No sign of the parent hanging around either. It was 10 hours from last sighting to when i noticed no signs or sounds from the nest. How long I wonder would the nest survive if something had happened to the parent?
  • Sadly, if the parents have abandoned the box then the chicks would not survive for long as the female would roost in the box to keep them warm overnight and they need constant feeding. They may have fledged and be down in some nearby tree'd area for more safety so give it a few days and you might see something of them, fingers crossed. They sounded as if they were almost ready to fledge so hopefully they have.
  • My 6 great tit went this morning from 1st to last it was over in just under a hour, i was amazed how quickly it did happen now. I have baby's scattered all over my garden now.
  • Great to hear your garden great tits fledged, it is thrilling to watch them leave the nest and then hear them chirruping around the garden calling their parents for food ! Enjoy and thanks for letting us know, it's a lovely time of year.