Blackbird - Female seen taking live voles twice

Hi evetuonr

We are right in the midlife of the busy nesting and feeding season. I’m lucky enough to live on the edge of woodlands so am privileged to see so many different birds here in my garden. I am watching avidly and on patrol as the Great Tits have recently fledged their nesting box which I located just under the eaves of my wooden summerhouse. Magpies are doing their rounds along with the crows  

Imagine my surprise and somewhat horror when a plump female blackbird nabbed a live vole from under the hedge where the seeds fall from the bird feeders. I couldn’t believe my eyes watching her swooping away flying low with the weighty catch. Is this normal behaviour for a Blackbird? I thought this just be a one off bizarre event but nope - she came back and promptly caught number two vole. 

Can someone please enlighten me and tell me what is going on? Also if she enjoys flesh will she take the young fledglings?

I am baffled .....  

• I have voles here in the hedgetow bank and I know what voles look like. I’ve lived here long enough. They scurry along the bank picking up fallen bird seeds. Shorter tails than mice and funny little faces. The blackbird caught the vole and flew away with it flying directly past my viewing point. The vole was obviously heavy for her to carry as she was flying low landing in bramble shrub. The male blackbird was nearby.