Hello

New to these forums and still developing my photographic skills alongside my newly found interest in wildlife in general. I frequent the Stort and Lea valleys as an excuse for getting exercise after being cooped up in the cab of a truck for the last 45 years. Retirement looms, and i hope to get out more and more by foot of cycle carrying my trusty DSLR camera.

So, for a taster here is only the second Kingfisher I have ever seen, and the first I have photographed with clarity...the first one i saw just wouldnt keep still, This one at Rye meads a couple of weeks ago was very obliging  :)

• Hi Denis and welcome to the forum, from Mitcham in Surrey. Nice pic to start the ball rolling. Looking forward to more.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Very nice for only your second Kingfisher and hopefully a good sign for your retirement activities!

Nige   Flickr

• Hello Denis and a warm welcome to the community forum, that's a beautiful photo of the Kingfisher and I look forward to seeing more of your photos in due course; a lot of forum members on here are very keen photographers as well as bird/wildlife watchers so you are in good company ! This is a very relaxed group of people who appreciate hearing and seeing what other members of the community have encountered so pull up a chair and jump in !! welcome once again.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Hello Denis, welcome from me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. A beautiful photo of a tricky bird to get to sit still. Looking forward to seeing your further posts. Could not think of anything nicer to enjoy for your looming retirement! Enjoy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• You certainly got a great picture Denis, how lucky that this handsome bird obliged you before flying off. I hope you get lots more to show here!
  • Many thanks for the welcome messages :)
  • Welcome to the forum Denis, and what a superb photo to start with.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler