Bluetits nest box

Hi, I'm very new to this so looking for some.advicr pelase.

We have had a nest box on our house since we moved in 3 years ago and have never noticed anything before now but we have nesting bluetits this year. I think there's quite a few babies in there. They're very active and noisy which I'm pleased with but here's my problem. The nest box is very high up at 1st story height and concrete floor below. We have a very quick cat so I'm worrying when the fledglings leave the nest they'll fall to the floor and either be injured by the fall or get caught by my cat. Should I put a shelf just underneath the box so they have somewhere to land before flying off? Really not sure if that's more of a risk for them. There's no way the cat would get up that high bit would other birds? 

Thanks in advance for any information

• Hi Mrs Banks, welcome to the community forum.      The Blue Tits should be fine if there are nearby twigs, trees or even a fence to land on as they will open their wings as soon as they leap from the box and hopefully after a wobbly start will fly upwards so no need to do anything and let nature do the rest !    Enjoy watching the nestlings leave the box.

About two and half hours ago I was lucky enough to be in the garden as one of our Blue Tit boxes of nestlings fledged.   Here's the link to the video clip and you will see how good they are (most of the time ! ) at using their new wings !

• Thanks for your reply Hazel, there's nothing nearby and one baby has just fledged but landed on the grass. The cat was there immediately so I rescued it and husband has put it back in the box for now. We are trying to insall the shelf with difficulty. Really not sure what else I can do these bluetits seem doomed
  • That video is lovely and your bluetits look much bigger than the one that was on the grass with more feathers so maybe they're not really ready yet? The box is moving alot so I think there's quite a few in there?
  • Thanks for the update MrsBanks, sounds as if you are right and the little blue tit is not quite ready to leave the box; if there are over a dozen nestlings in there wouldn't be much room for them so hopefully it won't be long before the adult birds coax them to leave and they are able to open their wings and fly up. Maybe keep an eye on your cat and confine it indoors for a short time once you see the young tits are ready to fledge - sometimes they will leave their nest box within a couple of hours of one another so the cat doesn't have to stay housebound for long ! Good luck.