Blue Tits disappeared

After weeks of activity, the blue tits have stopped visiting the nest box.

The last time they visited was two days ago whereby the female peeked in the box and pecked around it. The day before they were in and out continually.

Any ideas what is going on? 

Many thanks 

• It’s possible that they have finished nesting and babies have left the nest too and time to move on?
  • In reply to Clare jones:

Thanks so much Claire I guess it’s very possible. I’m very tempted to look inside the box though
  • I had the same this year. I am almost certain the male died. That could be the case with your example. Obviously, hard to know the sex (not sure how you are telling the difference?), or whether something died, without having the body. But, in my case, the displaying and singing bird had two favourite branches. One was above the nest box and the other was on top the tallest tree nearest the garden. That individual definitely disappeared and there was nothing in the neatly made nest.

• In reply to Robbo:

Thanks Robbo sorry to hear about your birds I think I’m going to check the box later. It was lovely to have them in the garden though
  • Your welcome Rachel...I’m giving it a couple of weeks before checking the nest just to make doubly sure ya know !! I love nature but it’s so sad at times. Next year I’ll put a box up on the side of the house in hopes this works better for the ones that nest here.
  • Yes, hold fire Rachel.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Thanks Robbo I’m so gutted that they have just gone and I won’t go checking. Last year they did not nest but the year before they did but ended up with a dead fledging left in the nest. Nature can bring so much joy
  • In reply to Clare jones:

Thanks Clare good advise
  • Robbo ,it says that the females make the nest all by themselves and the males are the ones that feed the chicks and are territorial! Not sure if that helps much but hey ho lol .
  • Ok thanks for the reply. However, not sure where you are reading that, but both feed the chicks. Both are territorial as well, though obviously, the male might have more time on his hands during part of the breeding season....