Blue tit fledglings all dead

Hey, firstly apologies I’m totally new to the site and know nothing about birds, and wish I done more research now. 

This is my first house, I wish I could use that as an excuse, but I still feel awful I’ve done something wrong here.

A bird box in our garden in a very shaded area, and noticed a blue tit flying in and out.

I was in the garden and noticed chirping from the box.  I put my phone camera to the hole and saw 4 fledglings. Now 4 days later, they are all dead.

Did I scare them to death?

I opened the door, looked inside and found 6 inside, one at the bottom completely eaten by maggots leaving only a few bones.  

What do I do?

I feel so sad and guilty I did something wrong

• Hey...sorry to hear this sad news but a lot of us are struggling with these little ones dying !! It’s so so sad .
    I wish I knew the answer to your question ,I believe we should not disturb them no matter what and I have read some where that it’s not uncommon for the babies to die. I recently found a newly hatched baby dead at the front of the nest and I’m afraid to go look in to it further just in case I find more.i hope someone has an answer for you and in return it may teach us something too.
  • There is a good chance that you scared the parents off and they have not continued to feed their young. You really should not look into nest boxes until well after the breeding season.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Best thing would be to treat yourself to a nestbox with cam fitted that you can view via laptop, they are not all hideously expensive!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Best thing would be to treat yourself to a nestbox with cam fitted that you can view via laptop, thetpy are not all hideously expensive!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr