Baby coal tit found drowned in garden pond.

Hello, I came home today to find a young coal tit had drowned in my pond, it was upsetting as I have seen the parent bird feeding him in the garden over the past few days.  It is a kidney shaped pond, approximately 5ft by 3 ft with paving slabs around the edge and a few plants.  I have had the pond for several years now and this is the first time it has happened.  Is there any way I can prevent this from happening again?  Many thanks.

Thank you for your responses, much appreciated.  I have now covered the right half of the pond with plastic mesh where I found the drowned coal tit (top right corner) and have also used a spare piece of mesh at the bottom left of the pond.  Hope this will prevent them from falling in.

• Annual event here with baby Starlings but hopefully staved it off this year by laying 2" square plastic mesh across which means the birds can stand on it to drink through squares but deters them from trying to bathe ... fingers crossed but has worked so far! Although I have various dishes of water available my horde of Sparrows plus Starlings & Blackbirds all prefer to drink the pond water!