Siberian Jay Buckinghamshire?

I caught sight a bird flying over my garden this morning which I'm struggling to identify . Viewed from underneath and the rear, its breast was buff but most distinct was its orange/rust rump. Could it be a Siberian Jay? There are birch woods around here , but less conifers. I can't see anything else similar in my Wildlife Trust Birds Of Britain & Europe.

• Hi Kelvyn, It's very difficult to say what your bird could have been without even a poor photo to go by. I can only have a wild guess with your description and woodland area that possibility could be a Common Redstart which has an orange/rust rump/tail area. I think Siberian Jay would be an extremely rare find here but as I'm not an expert I'll leave it to others who may be able to hazard a guess.
  • Thanks Hazy. Common Redstart would be more likely, although my impression was a larger bird and flying at speed in a straight line not undulating. I've not seen a Common Redstart before so can't say whether all of my description fits. Shame I wasn't able to take a photo.
  • Sorry I can't be of more help, it's awfully difficult to come up with a conclusive ID without photo evidence and we have some great experts on here who can nail an ID even with a blurry photo - I'm not one of them !! Sounds like you have a lovely area with woodland where you live which will attract all sorts of bird species so hope you see this one again and have your mobile photo camera ready !

• Hi Kelvyn,

I have to agree with Hazel that a Siberian Jay is extremely unlikely. As far as I'm aware one has never been recorded in the UK.

I saw them in Finland about 8 years ago. They are a little smaller than our Eurasian Jay. The photos below are not the best as they were back-lit.

With the red under-tail I can see why you might have thought of Siberian Jay.

Apart from Common Redstart (as suggested by Hazel) or even female Black Redstart nothing else springs to mind. However, both these birds are quite small being only Robin sized. 

• Thanks Tony. The bird I saw was definitely larger than a robin. Although extremely unlikely to be a Siberian Jay, it does look very similar from below; same white/buff colour on breast, and the rust/orange belly/rump and under tail. I hope someone else may spot it. Do you know flight characteristics? Are they similar to what I described; fast and straight?
    If it is the S Jay then I suppose it was blown here, as it is unlikely to have been its intended destination. Does anyone know the wind pattern lately between its usual territory in Scandinavia and The Chilterns. Have they been consistent with being blown off course?
    Regards, Kelvyn