Leylandii dilemma

Hello I'm new to this but could really do with some advice,

I've recently moved into my new house and it has around 10 leylandiis in the garden that tower over the house! At first I was adamant these would get cut down and then start landscaping my garden (I even got several quotes)

But then spring arrived and it wain't to long befor house sparrows started appearing out of the trees, so I brought a feeder and over night the garden became a bird a hot spot. My garden now attracts attention of

2 collared doves nesting in the neighbouring tree 

blue tits who visit weekly 

a Robin who visits daily 

A long tailed tit 

and several house sparrows who's took nest in the leylandiis 

including a squirrel  

the issue is I don't want to loose my bird paradise but these over grown trees need to loose height and become less over grown but doing so will I scare them all away or loose my gardens bird appeal. has anyone had any situation like this and what was the out come?

here are some pictures of the local bird population I've managed to spot 

• Hi TK, as you've seen, the problem with Leylandii is they can grow too quickly and become a nuisance once they get beyond trimmable height and they can take valued light from your garden and start to look untidy when they are that tall. I agree it would probably be better to cut them down and maybe replace with something like Hawthorn hedging or shrubs like Cotoneaster which would be likely to attract all manner of birds once it was established. However, having said this, I would leave the removal or drastic cut back until Autumn time now that birds are already beginning to nest as you are enjoying lots of bird activity. Only my personal opinion and other's may have better ideas or alternatives. Good luck and meanwhile, enjoy your bird visitors.
  • Thanks for the advice! I knew these leylandii would be a problem when I brought the house but It didn't even cross my mind that birds would take nest in them, nor that I would become attached to garden birds. I guess I've stumbled across my new hobby
  • Looks like you have some very nice birds in your garden including the Long Tailed Tit so enjoy your new hobby, as you say, it is addictive and we do get attached to seeing these lovely birds !
  • Due to the size of them you cannot cut them down in height as they will not regrow from the lower trunks unlike deciduous trees. If you cut them back you will just be left with trunks.
    some
    Personally I would get them out and plant more wildlife friendly plants. There are some very good small trees/shrubs/hedging that will attract a far greater selection of birds, both for nesting and feeding.
  • Maybe you could leave a couple of them until the newer plants get established.
  • Good advice for you to think about your options, but not just now, as it is illegal to cut, trim or interfere where the birds are nesting.
  • that actually sets me up to my next situation and question too,
    Because the trees form a high hedge line across my property and are well over the legal limits of 2m they also block sun light onto several neighbours gardens and i have been asked to cut them down by my neighbours or they will take legal action (which they are in their right to do so) but would a counter argument of nesting birds be enough to save the trees until the time is right?
  • No reputable tree surgeon would remove them at present if there actually are birds nesting in them. Are the sparrows nesting in the trees or simply sitting in them squabbling? Sparrows normally use holes in your house's bargeboards, or the roofspace via a slipped tile, that sort of thing. I'd certainly get them out asap, peace with the neighbours when you've just moved in would be worth it alone
  • My knowledge of nesting birds and there behaviour is almost nonexistent
    but I got up early had a gentle look in the trees
    There is no obvious nests that I've seen but there is a build up of twigs and looks like they have twisted it into a tunnel but it's no nest maybe the start of one?

I've also looked around my roof and to my surprise starlings going into the roof
    Birds have took over my garden and now my house and I'm not even mad
    but where are the house sparrows nesting?
    The sparrows never seem to leave the garden if there sitting in the trees or hoping around the garden I would say there's around 3 males and females that stay together
    Is there anything I should look out for?
  • Hi TK, pigeons/dove nests are made with twigs, so looks like they are building. Last Saturday I was watching the sparrows build their nest in my neighbour's roof. They were pulling of material from the pampas grass and flying with it to the house next door. They will build in small spaces, and they were making their nest under the roof tiles (this is an older house so the tiles are not straight across, they rise a little in the centre), then popping onto the rhone pipe and back down for more material. They will also build in bushes and shrubs, but don't go poking about as they will be disturbed and will abandon the nest.