Blue Tits in new camera bird box

Hello. We installed a camera bird box last year and am delighted that for the last couple of days have had a pair of blue tits bringing nesting material into the box. Fascinating watching the behaviours. Lots of fanning on the box floor. What’s that about please? More worryingly they seem to be taking some material out of the box this morning. I’m really hoping they’re not abandoning the box. Is this usual behaviour? 

• I think the female decides whats best for the nest so she will take what he brings in if its not what she likes :) just keep watching and if the floor is covered it will start to grow, how tall depends on were the hole is in the box the nest needs to be low enough so no predator that can't get through the hole can reach the chicks with their beak. and welcome to the community Fran.
  • Thank you Alan and James. There’s been lots of activity today with material being brought into the nest, fanning and taking material out. I think she wants Ercol but he keeps bringing Ikea! 

Another question about behaviour. The outside of the entrance hole has a metal ring around it to stop predators enlarging the hole to get in. As o think you can see from the attached the blue tits have modified the inside of the hole by tapping away at it. Why would that be please? 

• Hello Fran and welcome from me too;        so pleased to hear your nest cam is capturing the early activity of the Blue Tits.      Here's an info sheet about the Blue Tits and nesting (calendar) which may be of interest to you.  

post edit:     THIS may answer your question about the "tapping"  around the entrance hole

• Thanks so much for that Hazel. It’s really helpful. I can see we’re not going to get anything done between now and early June. We’re already glued to the nest box!
  • Hello Fran, welcome from up in Caithness, at the very top of Scotland. I hope you have much enjoyment and fun with the new camera bird box. I love the birds in the garden and have 5 different boxes up, no cameras but it is fun watching them pick one and use it. I am an Osprey lover, they are all arriving back home this last week and l am in and out of the live web cams trying to keep up, not much getting done and what will get done, will be done in double quick time!! Enjoy.

• Wow, how fantastic. Watching ospreys is a different level of birdwatching. Enjoy!
  • I’ve had blue tits sleeping in the box overnight for 4 weeks, they have not started to nest yet ( I believe that happens early April) but they do clean up in the box after each night