Birds in loft

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and have joined to get some advice.

One of my roof tiles has blown off, the lowest/ corner one closest to the front/side wall of the house. 

Rain is coming into the roof, and the roofer is due to come round next week to replace the tile. 

But I can hear a little patter of feet from the bedroom ceiling just about the point where the hole is, certainly within 1 metre. It is a 1920s old cottage and the attic is not boarded. What is my best course of action because on the one hand I need to repair the roof to stop the rain doing damage to the rest of the house, but on the other hand I would not want to repair the tile and trap the bird inside my loft with no way out. there are no windows and the trap door is at the opposite extremity of the house. Any help or advice most appreciated.

Also if the bird is not nesting, is there a wildlife group that helps with the safe removal of a bird?

Thank you

• Thank you chaps, well it's definitely birds or a bird because I can hear their feathers. The plaster on my roof is so thin it's almost like paper and I can hear them flapping occasionally. In front of the access point in the roof about 10 foot in front is a small privet hedge which I've always encouraged birds into. I believe is one of the birds that lives in the hedge as when I open the window earlier I thought I caught a glimpse of a small sparrow like bird, dart back to the hedgerow and stare up at the roof for a while.

I'm based in Cambridge and would do absolutely whatever I could to humanely evict the bird. So if any local both groups would like to help me then they would be most welcome, with humane traps etc. That's exactly how I managed to find my kittens many years ago that have been dumped in a roadside ditch. It's took ages but eventually the kittens took the bait and I managed to save two of them which I'm now 7 year old cats!

Anyway I digress, I shall also ask the roofer if he can help, but he said he's got no chance of getting the bird out and I'd have to do that with traps etc, all he can do is seal the roof back up.

I suppose that's one alternative I have to seal the roof back up and continue to feed the bird inside my attic, but for a number of reasons this is probably not the nicest solution!
  • I've thought of getting in pest control but I think I'd much rather use people that are firstly interested in the environment