Starling Murmurations in County Durham

Hello everyone,

Near where I live, in a place called Whorlton, there is the most fantastic starling murmuration. I haven't seen one before and was absolutely amazed - they were right over our heads (fortunately I was wearing a coat with a hood!) However, where they roost is on private land and the owner wants to pull the hedges down. I've just done a bit of research and it sounds like all avenues are being explored as the MP and County Council are involved. It is fantastic - I highly recommend seeing it - and want to check if anyone has any advice about what I should do

Here is a link to the story 

https://www.teesdalemercury.co.uk/country-life/planners-in-talks-over-starling-roost-site-in-whorlton

Best wishes,

George

• Hi Bob,

I think they've been using the site since 2014. Good point - if the worst does happen it is a rural location and hopefully they can (or even choose to) roost nearby. I didn't know that about Gosforth Park Nature reserve but that is interesting.

Best wishes,
    George
  • Sadly, money talks and nature walks....

Yours is a plight I've heard all too often, and then folk wonder why so many species are in decline.

Fingers crossed planners and councillors see sense, but I have my reservations if our local council, (especially now HS2 is being railroaded through here) is anything to go by.