House sparrow roost

Hello everyone, I’m new here and I’m really worried for my large house sparrow roost in my small garden. They are currently spread in a large laurel bush and in the copious ivy growing in my huge hazel tree. The tree has way outgrown the garden and is annoying my neighbour. It needs the top taken out of it, and some of the big branches, (which I hate doing), and of course if it is to be done this year it needs to be now. Much of the ivy that the sparrows have spread to to roost is going to be lost with the branches. I’m really worried about the sparrows. Does anyone know if they are likely to  all just bunch up in the laurel or if they are likely to just move on? Most importantly, are they likely to be ok? I love them so much, but the tree really does need attention before the sap rises and before the birds start to nest. Is there anything I can do other than to continue to provide plenty of food for them?

• Hi, I'm not sure about their roosting habits, but if the laurel and ivy need trimming, then it needs to be done before the Sparrows start to nest. Once they have started that process it would be breaking the law (Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981) to disturb them. They will find somewhere to roost. Hopefully there is no cold front on the way.
  • Hi Alan, thank you, that’s a good point, makes me feel a bit better about it. You’re right, they don’t nest in the laurel, they tend to find holes under the ridge tiles or eaves of the surrounding houses to nest, I see them every year. I just hope they all move in to roost in the laurel until it’s time to nest. I hate to disturb them whatever the season.