Pond creation

Hello. We have a small stream running across the bottom of our garden. This summer it has slowed to a trickle but in winter it gets quite busy. I think I could create a pool (a fairly narrow one) and wonder if more experienced members could advise. I live in Dorset by the way.
  • Hello Roger, sorry I have no knowledge regarding making a pond/pool but there are a few members who have them in their garden, hopefully they may be able to help.

• RogerWildin said:
    Hello. We have a small stream running across the bottom of our garden. This summer it has slowed to a trickle but in winter it gets quite busy. I think I could create a pool (a fairly narrow one) and wonder if more experienced members could advise. I live in Dorset by the way.

I'm no expert, even though we do have a small garden pond, but it did take years before it was established and stable.

However, first, you need to check whether you can legally take water from the stream.

Our pond is just short of 300 litres in capacity, about 1.5 mtrs long, 0.5 mtrs wide and 0.5 mtrs deep, and is a tough moulded liner.

I dug out the ground (which was heavy going, especially as there was a lot of builders rubble at less the 0.5 mtrs down) to fit the liner, dug a channel to bury a power cable for the pump and filter, so the water will not go stagnant, and once the liner was fitted in the hole, packed the sides with builders sand to help keep the pod liner stable.

Granite stones were than laced around the edge to tidy the outline up, and now some fifteen years on, grass has nicely grown between the stones.

After numerous failed attempts at keeping fish, the current fish have survived a lot more than the previous occupants. But, before these fish were introduced to the pond, I literally drained the old water out, cleaned the pond thoroughly, allowed to dry for a few weeks, refilled with water and allowed the water to settle for a few months, allowing nature and the newly bought lilies time to establish before introducing the new fish.

We have two carp, plenty of frogs, lots of mayfly larvae, two healthy lilies and lots more, and the pump complete with filter, keeps the water nice and clear.

Below are selection of photos of the pond, and some of the life that inhabits it.

A finally, a total surprise from this summer, a juvenile goldfinch standing on the fountain drinking!