Camera next box

Hi, I have recently set up a Oak Dale camera next box in my garden. I am delighted to say I have had a blue tit roosting in there for the past few nights. The camera has night vision, so in the dark you can see the light on in the box. Is this harmful to the bird? I have unplugged it in the evening just in case but would really like to watch our new friend throughout the evening. Any advice would be really appreciated. Many thanks
  • Hi Clart,  I presume it is a low light camera, ie, an infrared light you have in the set up for night-time vision which is harmless to birds and shouldn't disturb them but as I don't have any of my bird boxes fitted with cameras maybe other members on here can advise you better.  

• I would expect the camera has Infrared Night Vision LEDs these only give a very dim red light at night time and the picture will also change to black and white so will not be a problem you can leave it on all night without any problems.

• Hi, thank you so much for your replies. It is a low light LED. So I could see white light once it got dark. The tit fluffed up and looked as if she/he had fallen asleep. I then unplugged it as I didn’t want to disturb it. I’ll leave it on tomorrow and see what happens. Hope they will nest in there. It’s fascinating. Thanks again

• Enjoy your views inside the nest/roost box and keep us updated if the Blue Tit decides to nest in it.        We currently have a Blue Tit roosting each night in a favourite nest box that they have used every year to raise a brood (although we have no camera in it and only see the bird/s going in and out during the day or early evening) so it's looking good for your box  - Good luck !

• Clart said:
    Hi, I have recently set up a Oak Dale camera next box in my garden. I am delighted to say I have had a blue tit roosting in there for the past few nights. The camera has night vision, so in the dark you can see the light on in the box. Is this harmful to the bird? I have unplugged it in the evening just in case but would really like to watch our new friend throughout the evening. Any advice would be really appreciated. Many thanks

I've just had a look at the Oak Dale Nest Box camera website, they are more or less the same as my Swann camera, which also is Passive Infra Red (PIR) triggered, so no harm will come to any wildlife.
    The harm may be to your pocket, for new batteries, but to me, that's a small price to pay for the pleasure you will get from the cam.
    My advice, if you're not using lithium cells, then I would strongly recommend them. Though expensive, they operate well in cold conditions, (standard alkaline and zinc carbon batteries, likewise rechargeable batteries, when cold usually give up quickly), heavier duty and in the long term, will save you money.
    You will probably find the instruction book will also recommend the use of lithium cells for the same reasons.
    Below is a photo of the Swann cam I use, which I've kept portable so I can use it anywhere in the garden. That particular one is waterproof, and fairly robust, especially as the wind has taken it flying lessons on the odd occasion!
    My only gripe, is when the batteries are removed, I have to reset the date and time when I power it up again.
    Good look with the cam and if you can, please share the photos.
  • I would expect Clart, camera to be powered buy a mains transformer so no need for batteries Mark, I have a camera like yours and has 8 batteries in it but you can use a transformer instead.

• I guess there are some that will safely use an external power source.

Mine in the picture is designed for use in all weathers and there is no weatherproof power socket (no power socket fitted), so it will only use batteries, which is what I bought it for.

• Sensor: 5.0 Megapixel (2592 x 1944), 12.0 Megapixel (Interpolated)
    Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 (15fps), 1280 x 720 (30fps), 848 x 480 (30fps), 640 x480 (30fps)
    Trigger distance: Up to 20 meters
    Trigger time: Around 1 second
    Detection angle sensor: 35°-40° (central sensor zone), 30° (side-facing sensor zones), 120° total sensor angle
    IR flash range: 20 meters
    Power: 4 or 8 x AA batteries type LR6 or External 6V AC-adaptor
    Standby: Up to 6 months
    LCD: 2.4" TFT colour display
    Memory: SD / SDHC memory cards up to 32 GB
    Connectors: USB 2.0 port, DC-in
    Functions: Multi-Shot 1 or 3 photos, Trigger interval 1 sec. to 60 sec. and 1 min. to 60 min., video length 1 - 60 sec. or 3, 5 or 10 min, time lapse, timer, keyword protection, picture imprint, alarm for low battery power
    Dimensions: Approx. 13.5 x 9.3 x 7.2 cm

• Mine is a very old cam, it's only 3Mpxl.

I was browsing the web earlier, I think its more than time to upgrade.

• I got mine last year and have only tested that it works, I will have to try it round at my Sisters and get the Fox that calls round.