Catlady's Garden - Update 16/01/24

This was the scene on getting up this morning! Taken through window.

Percy and one of his lady friends decided to make their way to the back for food! Also taken through window.

Later on in the morning. Nice to look at but not at the end of April! Taken from front door.

Thats all for now.

• Have been cutting grass all afternoon, when not my working days and  having things on and it being wet, grabbed the chance today, some light rain and awful windy but kept going. It looks really smart now, for a short while anyway. I always say I do not have much colour in the garden, lots of different trees and variegated greenery but when I was going round, there is colour about, so took some pictures to share.

Part of a front border, cornflower over, clump in the middle but lupins doing well, had to stake them, lilac campanula and pink wild geraniums and a velvety greenery bush at the left, synecio.

The other side of same border with pink lupins and at the front a some pinks. That thing top left, I can't remember what it is called but sat as 3 small green bits for a couple of years but something is going to open this year, you can see the buds?

Close up of the lilac campanula 

These 3 are the lovely pink roses round the front window, just starting to open this week. A beautiful scent.

I never intended for this border to be all pink and lilac, it was just what I bought and planted but it works well, and lilac is a favourite colour. 

I call this a Christmas rose or a Perry winkle? Just starting to open now, the honeysuckle to the side ie doing good this year as well.

Can't remember what this is called, two shades of green and has small pink bushy heads.

This started as a small pot plant size bush, that sat in a rounded shape and did nothing, after several years it started to grow upwards, I had to put up the trellace to support it, today I noticed it is going to flower. A very nice variegated green and white leaf, it looks like it may be from the ivy family, by the shape of the leaf? That is all along the front side of the house.

Down the field siide is a lovely wigeala, never much good at names but I do remember this is called Mullan Rouge.

Close up of same.

Now along the bottom border, a lovely pink poppy, this is the last head!

A bush of wild pink roses, the scent is gorgeous, had my nose in them.

A yellow potintilla at the wall by the greenhouse.

A hosta in a pot a the front door.

To finish a couple of the newly cut grass. No plants or colour at the back or side, just grass. The lovely Virginia creeper that covers the end gable wall is green at the moment, when it turns to its autumnal colour of red, I will add that later.

Away for a cuppa now, hope you enjoy my wee garden trip, thanks for looking.

• I shall never moan again about cutting the grass now I see the size of your lawn CL lol...well done you ;-)
    Lovely to see your colourful flowers and plants...my roses are also starting to bloom although am sure the petals shall be gone with the wind soon lol
  • Such a lovely garden, and lots of colourful plants, and a great update to your thread.

• A lovely update CL and great to see all the colourful flowers, plants and shrubs in that huge garden of yours; think you need a sit on mower LOL.
  • Thanks all for your kind updates, glad I stuck in with the grass cutting on Tuesday, wet today!

• Seeing as it has been sometime since I added to my thread, a few snowy pictures from today. Clear at bedtime and woke to snow, it has snowed and hailed all day, forcast the same for a few days! Brrr. Some of you may remember from earlier in the thread, when we had the gales and our fence came down (some pictures on here) plans all came to a stop about what was going to go back up, fence, block wall, stone wall, well things are now underway, at last. You will see in the 2nd photo (through window) that we have the start of a new stone wall going up, what a difference to seeing an open space to the fields, fantastic job the couple are doing. Once this and other plans get underway, I will update some more.

• Dont be blowing that snow doon my way...a little dusting was plenty this morning for me...look forward to see the new wall in better weather...stay safe stay warm CL ;-)
  • Thanks for the update on your lovely garden, Catlady. I love the combination of the various plants and flowers in your pics from June (sorry, missed seeing them then but a real delight now, in contrast to your winter's snow!)--all very pretty. I remember your fence coming down but cannot recall how long ago that was, pre-pandemic, I imagine. Seems a loooong time ago now (your fence blowing down, not the pandemic!). I wonder how many years after the several plague years it took for people to stop finally referring to events in their lives as pre-plague or post-plague! A bit like folks who lived through WWII talking about events as before the war and after the war, whereas for people born shortly after WWII, the war seemed like a very long time ago, ancient history in fact....

• Thanks all. Mid December 2018 Ann, pre pandemic!! It has been long a slog with work supposed to have happened etc etc, then eventually we got used to seeing the lovely views out to the hills beyond and months went into years!! Now each night we see fantastic difference (weather permitting, this last week not), the stone is changing colour, can't wait to see the finished result. Then the side grass is going to be taken to ground level and that part of the wall rebuilt, same stone as back wall, it is very sandy and the wall is being forced, there is already a huge hole in the centre where stone has popped with the force, fingers crossed it all holds until they get to that part. The oil tank is going to be moved so we will have a huge area which we will mostly grass over (will be safe then to use the ride on mower, just now the push mower has to be used, the other reason for leveling the ground, as it is about a 6 feet incline, got to think about our old age, well when we get there that is) !! I will leave a border at the wall to plant trees and shrubs, so we can at some point have some privacy again from the main road, like now with the side being so high. The gateposts are going to be widened and the driveway widend and tarred. Well that is what is plamned, so hopefully it will all go to plan. I will update with photos during the work.

After that is all paid for we will be living on bread and water!!