Catlady's Garden - Update 16/01/24

This was the scene on getting up this morning! Taken through window.

Percy and one of his lady friends decided to make their way to the back for food! Also taken through window.

Later on in the morning. Nice to look at but not at the end of April! Taken from front door.

Thats all for now.

• Did you drop a particularly large bag of icing sugar or has it been snowing?

• Wow can't believe you are still getting snow !! although l do remember years ago getting snow down south in April too, thanks for sharing your photos we us Catlady. Simon

• Brrrrgh   looks very cold outside !!   guess it's heading south now so I'll make the most of the sunshine till it arrives lol     Your garden looks a very good size Catlady with lovely areas and trees for the birds.   Hope you are keeping warm and enjoying the birds from indoors with a hot cup of tea in hand  lol

• Crikey, that's not a scene I would want to wake up to in the morning especially at this time of year. Brrrr.

I think we are expecting the cold front to arrive down south tomorrow. The nesting birds are going to get a bit of a shock. Extra mealworms are going to be needed.

• Wow that's amazing, I can remeber going to visit my sister in Cheltenham one Easter in the mid seventies & building a snowman for her daughter! It's a lot more rare these days though I expect!

I hope the birds don't suffer too much. It will be very hard for the insect eaters.

• Thanks all for the replays.

MC! No icing sugar, it really was snowing.

Simon, hope it remembers to stops.

Hazel, we have a fair size garden at the front, that is one end, away for a cuppa now.

TJ and Hazel, yes the poor birdies will get a shock.

I will keep this thread updated. It is mostly trees, shrubs and greenery but I have one flower border under the window and a lovely creeper on one gable end. Once they are in colour I will add them.

• Pretty as you say Catlady, but pretty awful in April, feel so sorry for the birds.   It is cold here tonight, dry but a very nippy wind, doesn't look too bad for Wednesday though so keep my fingers crossed that the cold snap will disappear for everyone and you will get your greenery back.

• Hi Gaynor, it is stopped snowing now and the green is re appearing. Hope it stays that way!

• Here are the photos of the garden as promised. We will start at the front, theses are pots with some strawberry plants and the last of the spring bulbs.

Moving along to the right, under the living room window. Some primrose's, luppins, cornflower, minature red hot pokers and a few other plants

Same view further along, that is a lovely wild climbing pink rose on the wall, has a lovely perfume.

Front door, the last pot of daffodils, almost over, the black planters have 20 gladioli bulbs in which to my amazement all have come up! 1st time trying these.

These next few are going round the front in a clockwork direction. That's an excalonia bush on the left and honeysuckle, a light green shrub, then a yellow broom just before the shaded bit. 

A few sycamore trees, daffys under the trees in the shades part. Pampas grass and a wigela (Moulin Rouge), how I remember that!

The next two are along the bottom wall, gooseberry's in the corner, red hot pokers, Poppy's, Berberis, white daisy type flowers, fern, a woolly willow, pink wild minature roses, a variety of trees.

Along the roadside wall now, a few willow trees, silver birch a Rowan at the gate, another pampas grass.

Other side of the gatepost now, just grass as this is steep, I probable is 6 feet from the roadside,and very mossy so it is easier for hubby to cut! Behind is pink rugosa rose. Really prickly but lovely colour and perfume.

We are now looking toward the garage wall, view taken from up the side and right to the above photo. These are the pots with the spring bulbs, now over. And a rather unsightly oil tank, have always gone to plant around or do something there, one day! To the left you can just see a wheelie bin and a bit of green. That is around the back and the other gable end. I will attach photos once that grass has been cut!

Some today of the rather cheeky Percy who has become very tame and will now hand feed. I shouted chook chook and shook the bowl of seed to see what would happen, this did!

Well that is all for now, once there is some more colour or anything of interest I will add it on. Hope you enjoy my little garden tour. I have seen lots of lovely garden photos on here and immaculate gardens so hopefully mine has something of interest. 

• What an enjoyable read Catlady,  your garden is brilliant, looks such a good size and the work you've done making it even more welcoming and attractive for wildlife and all those lovely plants, flowers and shrubs.     I love the way Percy will come in and eat from your hand, what a star :)  I've just spend half a day in our garden, mowing and tidying - it never ends, especially when I have about 8 blue tit adults and 6 great tits following my every move  lol      The blue tit will even land on my hand now - one of the scruffy ones who is feeding her young in the nest box.  

Lovely photos and good job done as they say !