Catlady's Garden - Update 16/01/24

This was the scene on getting up this morning! Taken through window.

Percy and one of his lady friends decided to make their way to the back for food! Also taken through window.

Later on in the morning. Nice to look at but not at the end of April! Taken from front door.

Thats all for now.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Can just see all the birds feeding....that's a nice dumping of snow..hope you dont need to go out in that CL...Still waiting on the snow to arrive here ;-(

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Nice update thanks, CL. Glad we're currently snow free, but it was -6 driving in to work this morning
  • A nice update.

Not quite as cold as where PB is, think the temp dipped just below freezing, but we did have a little bit of snow, only a teeny bit. oh ok, a dusting then..... LOL

• All looks very pretty CL but hope you safely made it into work today?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks all, yes Wendy I did, roads were atrocious, the gritter and plough had been through but the snow just kept falling. Temps freezing now, so tomorow may be worse, as snow forecast all night and tomorrow again is snow!!

• Sounds pretty dreadful CL, take great care in the morning!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well this was the worst day, 30 all the way in. We got to leave at 1.45, left the town around 2.15, it's a 10 mile journey, main road and relatively quiet,15 minutes and normally home, not today, 2.5 hours!! Drifting snow was the biggest problem. More snow overnight, so tracks covered in. Luckily I was following a snow plough, the gritter and tractors had been clearing the road, so only a track to follow, could not work out where the road and ditches were, with the difting snow, it was like driving through thick fog. The plough and a local farmers were clearing and it was filling in as quick. He eventually cleared a track for me to pull in at the farm. He was going to take me home in his truck (all the 4x4 and land rovers were getting through no problem) no one offerd me a lift! After another while one of the vans that was stuck could move after the tractor cleared a bit of road, and he kindly took me home the last 3 miles. Police Scotland closed the road.

So a snow day off for me tomorrow, the road will more than likely be still closed, as forecast the same until the weekend, still snowing at the minute and my poor car stuck at a farm! Never have I experienced driving and weather like that, very scary. At least I am home safe and my car will be fine.

If you go onto BBC news, highlands and Islands, you can see updates and pictures.

• Jeezo sounds like you got all of Scotland share of the snow CL....that sounded like a terrifying journey to get home and one a dont think you will forget in a hurry!!
    Glad you made it home safely.
    No snow here only Jack Frost but that's to disappear tomorrow....even into double digits by Sunday!....

Stay safe and hope it eases soon ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Lynn L said:

Well this was the worst day, 30 all the way in. We got to leave at 1.45, left the town around 2.15, it's a 10 mile journey, main road and relatively quiet,15 minutes and normally home, not today, 2.5 hours!! Drifting snow was the biggest problem. More snow overnight, so tracks covered in. Luckily I was following a snow plough, the gritter and tractors had been clearing the road, so only a track to follow, could not work out where the road and ditches were, with the difting snow, it was like driving through thick fog. The plough and a local farmers were clearing and it was filling in as quick. He eventually cleared a track for me to pull in at the farm. He was going to take me home in his truck (all the 4x4 and land rovers were getting through no problem) no one offerd me a lift! After another while one of the vans that was stuck could move after the tractor cleared a bit of road, and he kindly took me home the last 3 miles. Police Scotland closed the road.

So a snow day off for me tomorrow, the road will more than likely be still closed, as forecast the same until the weekend, still snowing at the minute and my poor car stuck at a farm! Never have I experienced driving and weather like that, very scary. At least I am home safe and my car will be fine.

If you go onto BBC news, highlands and Islands, you can see updates and pictures.

I recall one day leaving work in Birmingham, took four hours just to get out of B'ham. All roads were blocked due to cars sliding down hills, and that was urban roads, not rural roads.

I heard on the radio news yesterday, some roads around The Highlands had  the snow gates closed. Having travelled the A9 (and others) between Perth and Inverness many times, there are what I call snow poles, red and white posts to mark the edge of the road for such conditions.

• That's correct, Mike. Snow gates were closed at the famous Berriedale Braes. There are still these marker poles in areas, where the road is enclosed with high sidings and can fill in pretty quickly in heavy snow. We were speaking about this just yesterday, when sadly in 1978, 3 people died in their cars, and many cars were stuck, when a snow storm quickly escalated and filled the road many feet high. It was said that rescuers were able to walk along the tops of the cars with poles and probe them through the snow to see where the cars were. One man who survived was a hosiery salesman, who was able to wrap himself in tights to keep warm and that is what saved him. The cars were under 15 feet of snow, it was 3 days before they found him, he was able to use melted snow for water and made a hole in the snow to help him breath. I have just been reading the reports. Quite remarkable.

Heavy sleety rain now, the snow will soon clear and then we will he flooded! High winds forcast for later on in the weekend!