new bins

Hellow everyone

We would like to splash out on a new pair of bins but not really sure what sort to get.  Can anyone give advice as to what would be the best type for birding i.e. magnification size etc. Looking at not more than a £100 or should we be paying more?

• Hi all

I've been reading this with great interest as I would also like to buy some bins. I have looked at all of those recommended (thanks Squirrel, Buzzard, MarJus and everyone else I might have missed because the pages take so long to load)

The weight of the Olympus bins makes them look like a good buy for me, especially as I'm short sighted, but I intend to try them out first rather than just buy them.

If anyone looks on eBay then I would recommend that you only go for a Top Rated Seller with plenty of good feedback for the bins you are buying, and I would recommend that you only buy them new on eBay.

Another place that you might find secondhand bins might be your local auction house, especially if they do house clearances. There you can see them and try them before you bid, and you might get a good pair at a reasonable price on the day.

Good luck all.

Best wishes Chris

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• seymouraves said:

If you mean Carl Zeiss 8x30 Jenoptems then they are a classic pair of bins - brilliant design, weight and clarity and superb if you don't wear glasses.

:)

S

Not sure of the model Syemouraves although I looked the Jenoptems up and no, they're not shaped like that. They are like two straight tubes ('scuse the terminology!), similar to the Zeiss 'victory' shape ones! They're heavy-ish for the size but superb!!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

•  

Hi,

I am intrigued by your description-  tell me more :) Unless you have a photo or a model name:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi all,

Well I've come home tonight to find that OH has gone out and bought some - He tried them out today and after listening to the "voices" he turned up with some Nikon Action 8 x 40 CFs - they look a bit big to me but we'll give them a try tomorrow as we're off to Abberton Reservoire for a jaunt.

Thanks everyone for your replies and especially to Buzzard, Squirrel, Norfolk Dipper, Seymouraves for your helpful links - sorry if I've missed anyone!.

• Hi Kezmo thats brilliant, so we won't see much of you and sparrow on here this weekend what with your new toys to play with. Have a good time tomorrow.

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed.

• Hi Kezmo, that's great news. I hope you will do a first-hand report for us when you have road-tested them as I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with them.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 13/02/2010 04:11

hi Kezmo

I would suggest the 'Viking' make which the RSPB have in their shops

At the present we own 2 pairs of Vikings ourselves

One pair form me as I am short/long sighted - 10/50 -  at the cost of £250 (quite new)

Dave is longsighted - 8/40 -. just over £100 (older)

We have two separate pairs because:

1. Our eye sight varies quite a bit between us.

2. One pair is for close up vision, and the other far away vision

I love the make, and recommend them to you.  I am sure that the RSPB will have the latest models on their website/shops (good publicity for the RSPB LOL... but they are super Bins}

Have a good look, and of course others will have their views about what they like too.

Forgot to say that we tested our Viking Bins at the Bird Fair at Rutland over the past 3 years

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Kezmo, Hope you enjoy using the new bins. I also hope your OH made the right decision. (for his sake ! ) Have a great day tomorrow.

• Hi Kezmo,

Have a wonderful day tomorrow. Do you know how to switch your new bins on???!!!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

•  

Hi

Nikon action 8x40s are a good pair of bins for the money :) They should do you OK:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box