BIRD BOOK CHOICES

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

We recently visited the UK and France and were lucky enough to find the RSPB Birds of Britain & Europe which we used with pleasure.  We now want to buy one but see that there is also a RSPB Complete Birds of Britain and Europe.  Both by Rob Hume.  Please can you explain the difference?  We are avid South African birders and found our European experience enhanced by the superb book we used.  We would want a book that could be carried and which would give us all necessary aid to identification as well as some information about the birds (habitat, feeding, nesting, etc.). Please can you give me some advice?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to better books?

• Hi-

short review- will add more later -

Getting all these top notch photos for £20 ? It's a bargain !

Nicely laid out and handy for Euro- holidays- Remember them?

S
  • Thanks S,      Here's an updated link to the book which costs £15.99 via Amazon. (other sellers are available ! )

• Just an update to my current ID Book collection for Field use.

Although I still have a number of Traditional Paper Field Guides, that I use at home, I have switched to using the Kindle versions of my range of Guides, Birds and a wide range of other wildlife . I carry a ten inch tablet in the car and I also have a more pocketable 7 inch Tablet that I can carry a number of ID guides for various wildlife in a zoomable form . I have switched to a range of the Wild Guides Series which are all of a good standard and suit the Kindle format well.

My Collins guide is still there in my collection But these days I use the Android App version, which includes a wide range of video and audio content, in addition to the full Image and text of the original - totally recommended and Is on my phone too so always with me
  • Greetings everyone
    I was interested to see that my post was so old. Since then we have moved to the UK and are currently living in Dundee, Scotland (and have been for the past 5.5 years) while I study. We use the RSPB book we received when joining and also have a smaller RSPB(?) book in the car that lives in the side pocket of my door.
    We have visited most of the Lochs, RSPB and Scottish Wildlife Trust sites, and several birding spots further south. To be honest we are disappointed in the variety of birds and we can only put this down to rampant agriculture/farming. Even the so-called National Parks are full of sheep or cattle. I do think it is unfair to compare numbers with South Africa where there are naturally more birds because of the climate (10 species of Kingfisher, for example), but I would love to see more pressure on the farming community to create viable wooded corridors across the country (for all wildlife) and to see a lot more rewilding.
    Anyway, thanks for all your responses. A quick comment about bird books in South Africa. Sasol & Roberts are essential (you can also get a two-volume Roberts about A2 size that probably also comes with a hernia repair kit) and if you're going into Kruger Park then there are two excellent speciality bird books for that area (one by Ian Whyte, excellent, and another good one, also Sasol, by Warwick Tarboton).
    We hope to have many more birding years in the UK/British Isles and look forward to visiting many more sites in this lovely country.
    Take care
    Douglas
  • Hi

Scotland ( being part of the British Isles ) is situated on the edge of continental Europe and our speciality birds are seabird colonies ( high %s of world populations) and we are a staging post for migration : We have no deserts or large deciduous forests and insecticidal spraying has decimated our insectivorous summer migrants ( as well as other reasons in their winter quarters).

Scotlands islands are fantastic for birds ! I am planning to return to Shetland this autumn again.

S
  • Hi-

I find the Europe's Birds ( Hume Swash Harrop - Bird Life International) to be a great Reference Guide- It stays in the hotel when we are travelling.

It's a handy detail checker if I'm painting while away from home:

S

• Wendy S said:

Not wishing to take royalties away from Rob Hume or the RSPB but in my opinion one of the most useful books for UK and Europe is the Collins bird guide and it is just about managable for size and weight.

There is also the Collins App of which you can get as well. The basic Colin’s App is free but there are lots of add on’s such as vi does of every bird, birds songs etc, of which are a little expensive but are worth paying for if you can, as I have done.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/on app/collins-bird-guide/id868827305

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natureguides.birdguide&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Two Collins Birds App links above. First the Collins Bird App if you have an Apple iPhone or Apple iPad.

Second link for the Collins Bird App if you have an Android Device. 
    Both links are working.

• The Duivendijk -

It separates the Keenies from the rest guys- TAKE A LOOK before you buy- you might decide it's not for you

;)

Only a personal opinion....
  • I think it may be to do with book size and may be amount of detail. the complete version is a coffee table book and not a book you would take into the field, the non complete is a lot smaller. I carry a pocket version done by Rob Hume which I like immensely and that is smaller still.
    The Collins Field guide is probably the go to guide for Europe but the pictures aren't as pretty and there is a lot or written detail. Depends how nerdy you are. I have both!
    You can go onto amazon and check out for yourselves, the dimensions of the books are given. Hope this helps, hope the advice is accurate!!