little blue heron

I'm not a per se a bird watcher but from time to time I notice different birds. Last Friday in the centre of Buntingford, wading in the River Rib, I saw what I believe to be a little blue heron. I'd never seen one before let alone heard of one. I understand they are native to North America and I haven't seen any references to sitings in the U K. Has anyone seen one in the U K themselves?

• That would be an exceptional sighting in the UK. Little egret would be more likely. Are we talking dark or pale morph?
  • Thanks for your message. You are perfectly right in what you say. I rue not taking a photograph.
  • In reply to Rowlly :

A friend has suggested it might have been a European egret. Possibly I missed the head detail. But to me it was blue all over.
  • In reply to Rowlly :

Rowlly said:
    A friend has suggested it might have been a European egret

The three species of egret that we get in the UK (ie. Cattle, Great and Little) are all pure white and are unmistakable. I would have thought what you saw was most likely to have been a Grey Heron. If it was wading in the river it may have looked smaller than if it had been fully visible. Like this for example.

EDIT Crossed with Robbo's post

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Considering the rarity of Blue Heron in the UK I would suggest, like others, that what you saw was a juv. Grey Heron.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I was wondering about a juvenile or adult grey heron in poor light, particularly as egrets are generally white.

With most smart devices today, you can get a crude photo with the added bonus if you have the GPS switched on, that should confirm your location. Many cameras will have GPS, but not that many.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler