Best Binoculars

Can anyone give me any help on good binoculars. 

I have asked my husband for binoculars for Christmas so not looking for anything amazingly high spec or expensive. 

They are just for looking in garden and will go for walks in nearby fields and parks so will use them for walks. 

KathSmileSmileSmileSmile

• Seymore put some helpful binocular hints on the forum 5 days ago when he updated one of his birding hints posts. As for brands everybody will have their favourites. Away from big names like Swaro ,Zeiss and Leica I am a fan of Opticron for a wide ran ge at good value prices.
  • Thank you so much. Will have a look at that post.

Kath GrinGrinGrin
  • General advice is always to try them out - what works for one person doesn't for someone else, so try and get along to a good shop to handle and look through a few pairs before you choose. The ergonomics, weight etc can make a big difference to your enjoyment when using them :-)
  • As Whistling Joe says: "General advice is always to try them out - what works for one person doesn't for someone else, so try and get along to a good shop to handle and look through a few pairs before you choose. The ergonomics, weight etc can make a big difference to your enjoyment when using them :-)"

There are plenty of good brands out there, and many not too big to handle.

Personally, I like my Nikon Travelite bins, they're given almost 20 years of sterling service in all weathers, rain, hail, snow, sun and out on moorland, up mountains and more recently, wildlife reserves, waterproof and though retired, all that is wrong is the eye cups became dislodged around a year ago, so they're in the kitchen by the window, eye cups glued in place and great to watch the garden activity.

They're replacement, yes, another pair of Nikon Travelites, even though lack the performance of the big scopes.

But the best advice is go to a good optic retailer, try them out and handle them.

• Would you prefer binoculars or scopes with a single viewing optic?
    • Full portability (nice to handle and easy on the neck) or fixed location viewing using a tripod

Some RSPB and Wildlife Trust reserves have good facilities for trying before buying, some even have optic weekends.

• Thanks Mike, definitely ones I can hang around my neck and go for walks with etc.

Kath x
  • Hi,

We use Hawke Frontier ED X 8 x 42, find these brilliant for use in the garden.

Dave
  • Kath10 said:
    Thanks Mike, definitely ones I can hang around my neck and go for walks with etc.

Kath x

You're welcome.

Just as with photography, the world is your oyster, the choices can be overwhelming, but there will be a pair out there just right for you.