Smallpidgeon

Small pidgeon in our garden in the pouring rain, what can we do to help

• Likelihood if this is a young pigeon it will still being attended to by its parents so best advice is to keep distance so the parent birds can feed it, often young birds look like they have been abandoned but 90% of the time the parents are around as they stay in a tight family group for several weeks even after fledging. Rain will not bother birds as they will often take shelter in the shrubs or trees and pigeons do drink and bathe often so unless it has an obvious injury it is best to leave things to nature. If you have any pets, try to keep that area clear for now so the bird has less stress and hopefully the parent birds will tend to it. If it is an adult, they still stay in groups so other pigeons should be around, I would just watch and wait before intervening. Good luck.
  • Hi, wanting advice please .
    Baby pigeon in our olive tree. Mum has been there all the time in nest except today not seen her . Will she come back? The pigeon I has feathers and first seen it about 7-10 days ago, so not sure how old it really is ?
    Thank you
  • best advice is always to leave these things to nature as the adult birds may be returning when you are not watching and if it is still in the nest then it is safer there than on the ground. Chances are parent birds will return to the nest if they have young there (they are fed on food secretions called "crop milk" from both parents) so give it more time; I believe they leave the nest around 30 day after hatching; pigeons tend to stay in group flocks. So for now, keep a watch and distance from the nesting site so hopefully one or both of the adults can attend to their offspring. Good luck.

post edit:   it may be a good idea to change your username (email) as this site is open to the world wide web and you may get spam if you keep your email as your username.