Protection plate for bluetit next box

Hi there, I’m after some advice. 
I have a bluetit currently on Day 9 incubating 8 eggs. It’s a camera box. 
In the last 2 days we’ve had a persistent woodpecker showing a lot of interest in the box and on the entrance hole. 
My question is am I ok to add a protection plate whilst she is incubating? Will I frighten her off? I would have to climb the tree and screw one on? At the moment I am shooing him off and have taken anyway his daily peanut supply to deter him from visiting. I am currently waiting for a 25mm plate to arrive in the post. 
Many thanks

Paula

• Hi Paula , I am no expert but I think it's too late to do anything about it as interfering with an active nest would be unlawful . Yes its can wonderful watching on nest cam the full procees from nesting to the young fledging but can also be cruel aswell, as woodpeckers are known to take chick's from other nests and that it nature am afraid. The good and the bad of it. All you can do is add your plate in the Autumn for next year.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I agree with Linda. It's also fair to say plates are useful and worth using, but great spotted woodpeckers, if determined, will get in at the side of wooden boxes, bypassing the plate if they really are persistent. Very hard to know if removing the peanuts at this stage is a help or hindrance. I stopped feeding peanuts several years ago as GSWs smashed into an artificial house martin nest. They also got into a blue tit and great tit nest in subsequent years.
  • In reply to Linda257:

Thankyou for this Linda & Robbo.
    This was my thoughts too but I just needed someone to say it.
    This morning the eggs have started to hatch so be rest assured I’ll be leaving well alone. So far we have 5 out of 8 and it’s incredible to watch.
    I will just keep my eye out and shoo mr woodpecker away. I feel the taking his food away is helping as he is not visiting as much.
    Many thanks for your advice
  • In reply to Robbo:

Thankyou for this Linda & Robbo.
    This was my thoughts too but I just needed someone to say it.
    This morning the eggs have started to hatch so be rest assured I’ll be leaving well alone. So far we have 5 out of 8 and it’s incredible to watch.
    I will just keep my eye out and shoo mr woodpecker away. I feel the taking his food away is helping as he is not visiting as much.
    Many thanks for your advice
  • Thanks for good news update Paula, hope all progresses well!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr