What essential 5 items would you recommend?

Hello! 

I am planning to write an article on my website about essential bird watching kit and I wanted to get experienced bird watchers thoughts. Basically, what would you say are the essential bits of kit that you would tell your younger self to buy or not to buy?

I was hoping for exact kit recommendations rather than saying just water proofs, binoculars etc.  We have all fallen for the hype at some point so I thought my article might help new comers to avoid spending money on things that are not very good.

Kit and model names would be ace if you have any you would recommend! 

Thank you!

Wayne

• Wendy S said:
    In my opinion the Mulepack will hold just enough basic gear but like Mike I may have been spoilt with previous kit If we are going to be out on the moor watching for a while Chris will take her scope with the carrier and I have a bigger sac with food and drink plus any spare clobber we need. This works out well when there is the pair of us Years ago when I did a lot of birding on my own I had bigger binoculars to reduce the need for a scope

I think we have been spoilt Pete.

When I used to wild camp with one or two others, (but never more than three total), we used to sort kit out so we didn't duplicate/triplicate things like stoves (we never did open fires), water carriers (most water was filtered from nearby streams, so water carriers were small rather than large) and other common items that can be shared.

It was a similar principle I used when training scouts for DoE, though I drew the line at filtering water, from a young persons safety perspective.