Would a bird be nesting in my loft in Nov?

Hello

i definitely have 2 birds coming and going from my roof space (the side cladding has worn away and left a gap) I can’t make out what they are but they are blackbird size. And I can hear them in the morning in my bedroom which is on that side. (Chirping).  Is it possible they are nesting?  I am in kent by a country park on the north downs.

many thanks for your help.

Nichola 

• Hi Nichola, no the birds will not be nesting just now as it is outwith the breeding season, this will happen over the spring and summer months. You will have starlings in the roof, they may have nested there earlier this year or if it is only recently that the cladding has come away leaving a gap, they have found it. They will be doing what is called "roosting", somewhere warm, dry and cosy to shelter from the elements. You will see the smaller birds do this in bird boxes. It is legal at this time of year, now breeding is over, to clean out boxes and remove any nests. You can have a look and do this if you see one, even if there is no nest there you will have to block up or repair the hole otherwise now that they know it is there, if left you will definitely have a nest next year.
  • Thank you so much, although it isn’t a problem having them at the moment I imagine it won’t be nice once breeding starts! I will deal with the hole.
    Thanks again.
    Nichola