10x42 on a budget.

Hi, can anyone recommend a decent pair of binoculars for £200 or there abouts. I've been getting by with a pair of cheap (but very good) Uscamel 10x42's which are my preferred size. Any advice would be greatly received. 

• Hi Peter,      with binoculars I think it's always best to find a shop where you can pick up several and try them out to feel if they are comfortable and suited individually to a person.    An idea would be to get maybe get a good quality pair of either ex-demo or 2nd hand if you have considered that as an option.    There are several reputable photographic/optical stores that sometimes have very good ones for sale.    Here's an example of what could be available with a bit of searching just to give you an idea but as I say, they are really best bought by trying them out first and getting a feel for what suits best;   good luck and hope you find a good pair for a good price.   

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Hazy's right, Bins are very personal things & what's good for me may be terrible for you. For example, I can't get on with many Swarovskis, I much prefer the feel and ergonomics of Zeiss, even when trying out the most expensive options. It may be difficult short term to visit a shop that will allow you to try out various models, but that's really the best approach unfortunately. Remember to try them on a dull day as well, poor light will show up the benefits of good binoculars faster than anything

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Whistling Joe said:
    I can't get on with many Swarovskis

I'm the same WJ,    I use Leica Ultravid 8 x 42 and Mike has the Swarovski 8x42 which I find just don't suit me.   We tried both of them in store to make sure they suited our individual needs. 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks everyone for your feedback,yes I'd always try before I buy. Guess I'll have to wait until the shops are back to normal.
    Regards Pete.
  • Hi

at around £200 Bushnell are worth a look:

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• In reply to seymouraves:

I've also heard good things about Avalon pro HD's.