New mini tripod

Using a 500mm f4 lens usually involves the use of a full sized tripod and gimbal head, even when in a hide, as long as there aren't too many people in. Unfortunately some hides have fixed benches which means that you can't use a tripod or have a shelf which can be in the way a bit. Another issue with the full sized tripod is that you are further from the opening so are a little restricted for anything coming in high or low and even if you disconnect the camera you have to fight past your tripod to get to the window. Many of the hides up here have both fixed seats and shelves. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that everyone had started useing a mini tripod, with their gimbals on so i checked them out and invested in one as it was only £26.99. 

It seems remarkably sturdy and well built and has two different height settings. As can be seen in the 3rd picture  If the shelf is narrow, it can still be used when in the flat position and is stable. It does also mean that the camera and lens can be picked up and manouevred whenever necessary. Made by Moman and available on Amazon.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• That's a nice little tripod Bob, which one is it?

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:

That's a nice little tripod Bob, which one is it?

Moman  - www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_3

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Cheers Bob.

That's quite a sturdy little tripod, its on the wish list.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Oh dear, another new toy to add to the pressie list!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Whistling Joe said:
    Oh dear, another new toy to add to the pressie list!

and here's me still waiting for Santa to bring me a bean bag   lol         @ Bob, looks a sturdy bit of gear at a very reasonable price.   

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Looks like a nice bit of kit Bob.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Whistling Joe said:

I inspected a few when everyone started turning up with them and was really impressed with the quakity as my first thoughts had been that at only £27, they might not be up to the job. But it solved my bean bag problem - I have never been confident enough to let all that gear rest on a bean bag, half in and half out of a window . Of course you have to be careful when using it in the raised position - there's no problem with the camera and lens balanced nicely in your gimbal but when you take the camera off the lens to put a TC on that the legs are only 6 inches apart, not 3 or so feet as they would be on a full size - that would be when the kit dives out of the window if you don't take care .  

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

Whistling Joe said:

and here's me still waiting for Santa to bring me a bean bag   lol         @ Bob, looks a sturdy bit of gear at a very reasonable price.   

I inspected a few when everyone started turning up with them and was really impressed with the quakity as my first thoughts had been that at only £27, they might not be up to the job. But it solved my bean bag problem - I have never been confident enough to let all that gear rest on a bean bag, half in and half out of a window . Of course you have to be careful when using it in the raised position - there's no problem with the camera and lens balanced nicely in your gimbal but when you take the camera off the lens to put a TC on that the legs are only 6 inches apart, not 3 or so feet as they would be on a full size - that would be when the kit dives out of the window if you don't take care .  

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• I use something similar for a mini tripod I take sometimes and it works well even though my mini scope may be lighter than your set up. Another option may be to use a g clamp that clamps the centre section of your tripod to the shelf

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I'm trying to convince myself I don't need one, but at that price and with that spec, I'm struggling.

Or would I be more honest and say I'm fighting a losing battle!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler