Baby Robin or Sparrow?

Hi, 

thought i'd ask here. We found a baby bird the other day in the forest (here in spain.. it was on an open path in the 35 degree heat and was not in the best of conditions) we looked around to see if there was a nest but there wasn't and to leave the baby bird there was leaving it to a certain death. We took it home and have been caring for it since. It survived the fuirst night and is getting stronger from day to day. 

Me and my girlfriend just aren't quite sure what we have found ourselves. Is it a robin or is it a sparrow? We'd like to know just to be sure that we're feeding it the correct foods. (judging by it's growth and daily health improvements i'd say we are but still, never hurts to ask) 

**Picture below**

Thanks, Tom 

Parents Reply Children
  • Hey there Cyclist,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious about its mother knowing best. Great advice.

The bird was very close to death, in the middle of a path under 35 degree heat, it could barely hold its head up and wasn't able to support its own weight. Leaving things to nature would very likely have meant a pretty horrible death being swarmed by ants and slowly dehydrating below the Mediterranean sunshine.

Only four days on and it is bouncing around and starting to try out its wings.

More insects will be being included into its diet though.

Thanks for the advice- but next time maybe don't bother if it's just going to be sarcastic, guessed-at comments....
  • It is hardly being sarcastic repeating the RSPB's own advice on an RSPB web forum
    www.rspb.org.uk/.../

The message really does need to be got across that picking up recently fledged birds is the very last thing you should be doing,

I do admire your desire to do good and may be this was one of those exceptional circumstances, but nevertheless for anyone else reading, picking up young in most cases does more harm than good, they have to be raised by their parents to stand any real chance.

The greatest thing any of us can do is create habitat for them