Seed Feeder Trays

I have just purchased the Ring Pull Pro Feeders 4 port and these will be used on a Gardman standard feeding station.

I'm looking to purchase seed feeder trays to attached to the bottom of the feeders, however there are a few size options.

Super 355mm, Large 265mm, and Small 195mm

I wouldn't get the Super as this is too big

I'm thinking the Large would encourage larger birds such as pigeons to perch on it, when they can safely graze from the ground just as the blackbirds do

This leaves me with the small, which would give the birds 45mm of tray between the feeder and lip of the tray

The majority of birds visiting the seed feeders are sparrows, tits, finches and robins

I would love to hear other peoples thoughts please

• Have you bought the Droll Yankee perch rings which just push on to the projecting perches of the ring pull feeders? I have found that they enable most birds like Robins, Dunnocks, Sparrows and most finches will happily use them. Chaffinches which prefer feeding from the ground struggle a bit but will still use them. A set of those is cheaper than a tray and as Alan has said are mainly to collect spillage.

• Alan, yes the trays are mainly to collect spillage from the feeders, the sparrows make such a mess
    I will order some and see how they go before thinking about getting any spares

TeeJay, the feeders come with two free perch rings so will put those to use as well

As far as cleaning the feeders / trays goes what do you recommend using that won't be harmful to the birds or the feeders?