Recommendation for compact binocs

Hi having come back from a short break in Spain, where I was surrounded by hoopoes (well, 2 or 3 at least) frustratingly without my binocs, I feel it's time to invest in a compact light pair for travelling. I love my RSPB 10x42 HD but they are quite big and heavy for hand luggage only travels. What would anyone recommend? I'd hope to spend no more than £150. Many thanks

• Unknown said:

Hi having come back from a short break in Spain, where I was surrounded by hoopoes (well, 2 or 3 at least) frustratingly without my binocs, I feel it's time to invest in a compact light pair for travelling. I love my RSPB 10x42 HD but they are quite big and heavy for hand luggage only travels. What would anyone recommend? I'd hope to spend no more than £150. Many thanks

A lot will depend on your budget and preferences.

I use Nikon 10x25 Travelites, which are durable, weatherproof and a nice size to handle.

When I say durable, they replaced an old 8x25 pair which after almost 20 years service in all environments (I used to do a lot of mountaineering, so they took a bit of a bashing, saw weather extremes and were used for bird watching), one eye cup slowly started to disintegrate.

I've since glued the eye cup in place, and they still work perfectly, just not quite a portable and no longer fit on the binocular pouch they came with, which incidentally, is still usable.

Bushnell also do some very good binoculars, again a similar size and weatherproof.

My advice would be to visit a retailer who has binoculars that you can view, try and find some that meet your needs, size, budget and optical clarity.

Some RSPB reserves with proper visitor centres have dedicated staff to help you choose, plus the ability to try binoculars properly, viewing on the reserve and not just any old where..