Moving house and need to stop feeding birds

Hi Everyone

I'm sorry, but I inadvertently tagged my question onto the Hacked one, I'm not great with online communities, but my question below is genuine.

I'm going to be moving house soon so I need to stop feeding the birds in my garden. I've been feeding them for 10 years so I want to stop feeding gradually and not stop suddenly. Any advice on the best way to do this and how long I should take.

Thank you
Rosie

• Hello Rosie, welcome to the Community forum and don't worry if you posted on wrong thread, this layout takes getting used to and not the easiest site to navigate.
    At this time of year I wouldn't worry too much about birds going hungry as the weather is milder and there will be sufficient natural food for them with insects, etc,, and the tit members will soon be finding one of their natural food sources which include the emerging oak leaf caterpillars which they will also feed to their chicks once hatched. Until you move I would just keep one feeder out with sunflower hearts; birds are very good at sourcing food whether natural or provided by humans so will manage fine without you worrying. It may take them a few days to work out that their usual handy food source that you provide is no longer there but I can assure you they will survive just fine and revert to their natural instincts to find other food sources which are readily available. Hope your move goes well and that you are able to feed the birds in your next area/garden.
  • Hi Hazel, thank you so much for your advice. I was worried about just stopping cold, but your advice makes me feel better and I'll do as you suggest.
    Best wishes
    Rosie
  • One thing Hazel has got right is that this site is not easy to navigate or maybe I do not use it as often as I should nowadays. I have a similar problem to yours on a smaller scale as where Chris and myself set up our feeders is near a small communal patch on our small estate of flats and could be easily become fouled up so we stop feeding for a few weeks in late summer to give the patch time to recover and grass over. As there is an abundance of natural food we tail off the feeding rather than suddenly stop and always aim to resume before the weather changes too much for the worse. Good luck with your move it could be interesting starting a new bird list for your new patch. Let us know how you get on we are sometimes a nosy lot on the forum.