Canon 7D Mk ll advice please.

I have become quite disenchanted with my EOS 600D, not least because of the slow autofocus!!

Having read past posts, and numerous reviews, I get the impression that the 7D Mk ll would be the way to go?? I quite like the idea of being able to use my existing lenses. Is it really worth the hefty price tag? I would be using it  for bird/wildlife photography.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Peter.

• The 7D2 is definitely the fastest camera Canon sell and it's aimed at wildlife photography (unless you want to go for the expensive and heavy 1DX2 of course).  The AF in particular is light years ahead of the 600D - and it has it's own processor.  That means one processor worries about AF, the other can concentrate on everything else (ie taking the pic, converting & saving files etc).  You'll find the sensor is a step up too (less noise and so on) and the battery will last much longer.  Is it worth the money?  That's always a personal decision of course, but the functionality, capability and handling (ergonomics are much better than the 600D) make it a premium product in comparison.  The other possibility to consider would be the 80D.  Not as fast as the 7D2, but still much better than your 600D (and with later sensor tech than the 7D2).  Better ergonomics than the 600, not as good as the 7.  Cheaper price point with much of the functionality, though to be fair, pretty much all the newer bodies Canon's released recently have had improved AF.

Given the choice of any of the Canon crop sensor bodies out there today, I'd personally still go for the 7D2 (for all the reasons above) - and that's based on actually having a 7D2, 80D & 700D in the house.

However, left field question - if the AF is slow, are you sure it's not simply the type of lens you're using?  AF can be very slow if you're not using a USM or STM lens