Birding- Men in tights - A Mel Brooks Film

• In reply to seymouraves:

seymouraves said:
    I'm the Good Egg!

But of course! It's so obvious how could I miss you? lol

Thanks for the info,  I envy you and other experts who can hear a sound/call, observe the flight pattern of a bird overhead or the silhouette shape and know what species it is !   I have no chance of Id-ing and counting any birds that fly overhead unless they are a Common Buzzard  lol   I always hope there is a Marianne, Roy or a Dave with me   ;)   !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Seymouraves, What is the Big Year record for Britain and/or for the UK?

Kind regards, Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

I think its 386

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

seymouraves said:

Waxwings were at Branodunum near Titchwell

Thanks Good Egg, getting closer to mine!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Thanks, Seymouraves.  Congratulations on seeing all those birds with the other men in tights, especially seeing the Dowitcher and the Waxwings!  Was that the Dowitcher at Frampton Marsh?  We've not seen Waxwings here in west Surrey and we had to go to Essex several years ago to see them for the first time.  Are you in the photo or were you taking the pic?  

Do you know who holds the UK Big Year record and when was it?  We are not serious listers ourselves, but I very much enjoy following other birder's Big Year adventures.  I am following someone doing a Big Year in Alaska and they have 302 so far this year.  Apparently the previous record was 287.  The most recent rarity was a Tropical Kingbird on October 22nd and what a beauty that is!  The chances of adding to the 302 species in the next two months are slim, unfortunately, but hope springs eternal, as you know.

Kind regards, Ann

seymouraves said:

Hi-

no idea what the average tick list is per year in GB- I see about 200 but only watch 3 counties really and am normally out of the country in spring and autumn;

Someone travelling a reasonable amount in Britain should probably get about 250;

A Big Year contestant should get about 340.

S

I would always hope for 200 plus in a normal year but due to health problems it has been way below that recently about 146 so far but we might pick a few odds up,main point nowadays is enjoying the birds 

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

Mrs S took the pic

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

Gardenbirder said:
     Are you in the photo or were you taking the pic?  

I reckon ........ 2nd from right  ?   !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Nah Hazy, it's got to be third from right!!!   One of us is bound to get it right soon, but I reckon they all need watching......

Lot to learn