British Birds Journal

https://britishbirds.co.uk/

I've subscribed to this very serious scientific journal for years and for anyone that takes a serious interest in Birdwatching this monthly journal called British Birds might be for you. On the British Birds Journal website as a subscriber you have access to all the archive journal from around 1907 as well as all the important papers published in British Birds from1907. There is a digital version and a printed copy or if you wanted to you could subscribe to both. The cheapest annual subscription if you subscribed to the printed copy from October 2021 was £63.00 per year. So it’s not cheap. In the link provide on the British Birds Journal website gives all the information. I know of some on this forum like myself who do indeed subscribe to the British Birds Journal.

• As you say Ian, it's not cheap but no decent magazine is these days. I did subscribe to BB until a few years ago but I found I was just piling them up in the spare bedroom and not finding time to read them. I get the BTO members magazine and local wildlife trust members magazines through our membership and Birdwatching magazine through a deal with the bank and that covers most of what I need. During early pandemic when we stayed in a lot and when we both had covid last year I managed to catch up on magazine reading but the problem now is what to do with unwanted magazines. Mine used to go to Doctors/Hospital waiting rooms and the gents barbers but those days are gone so they may end up in recycling which is a waste to me.
  • I give my British Birds Journal to another keen birdwatcher after a few months who is not financially well off and who I’ve known for years.

I should say I’ve been at home all week since Tuesday as on Monday evening after my day out at Washington Wetlands I tested positive for Covid. Luckily I’m ok health wise. It’s mote like a bad cold. I was at my cousins the previous week arriving home the West Midlands last Saturday. Late on Monday I found out that my cousin and his wife had tested positive for Covid late afternoon on Monday of this week. I tested myself on Monday evening and was negative. Tested again on Tuesday morning and I was positive. I’m testing negative after testing myself 3 times today. Going nowhere on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I cancelled earlier this week going out with the Newcastle RSPB Group to Nosterfield in North Yorkshire this weekend and to be 100% certain I won’t go out anywhere until after this weekend and maybe on Monday subject to testing on Saturday and Sunday and early Monday morning..

• Pity that you are not going to Nosterfield Ian, thst is our local patch. Some interesting stuff there yesterday such as 150 Pinkfoots flee in yesterday evening 7 Black Tailed Godwits and good numbers of Little Egrets.
  • Wendy S said:
    Pity that you are not going to Nosterfield Ian, thst is our local patch. Some interesting stuff there yesterday such as 150 Pinkfoots flee in yesterday evening 7 Black Tailed Godwits and good numbers of Little Egrets.

Even though it’s not a criminal offence any more I wouldn’t want to pass covid on to anyone else in the Newcastle RSPB Group. Even though I tested myself 3 times today as negative I’m taken no chances. So possibly Monday and then in 2 weeks time back to Langholm Moor for the first time in 4 years. The last 2 times we all had excellent views off the Hen Harriers. Of course I’ve been to Nosterfield 3 ttimes before as well. In June a return trip to Upper Teesdale to see the Black Grouse in June. If anyone has never been to Upper Teesdale before. There are as many Black Brouse as Red Grouse on the moors of Upper Teesdale which is one of the strongholds for Black Grouse. Looking forward to visiting those moors again in mid-June. Although it is tough walking up in Upper Teesdale. Also as in 2017 we hope to the Ring Ouzels again as in 2017. My first ever sighting of Ring Ouzels was up in Scotland in 1959.

•  This was one of many Black Grouse taken by me in 2017 and just with my iPhone on the last to Upper Teesdale. My RSPB Group from Newcastle Upon Tyne where due to visit Upper Teesdale  in the Spring/Summer 2020 but everything came to a standstill after our last coach.trip in  March 2020 to WWT Caerlaverock.

• https://youtu.be/kfrKEqVzTUs
    Black at the lek in County Durham in Upper Teesdale.
  • -.o
    This is a guide about viewing Black Grouse from a safe distance and disturbing this rare Gamebird and the Black Grouse is one of the fastest declining birds in the UK. Upper Teesdale along with one other area in England is a stronghold for the Black Grouse. Gamekeepers now have a volutary ban on shooting Black Grouse, Some moorland owners will actually fine anyone who shoot Black Ground on there land even it that is an accident

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/images/black_grouse_leaflet_tcm9-214926.pdf

• We are lucky enough to see Black Grouse in Nidderdale in small numbers thanks to a relocation scheme a few years back,fascinating birds to watch