bird identification

can anyone suggest what the following bird of prey might be,  seen on the A5 just north of towcester (a pair).  very large, under side all red, almost a deep rusty red, No other colouring evident so I ruled out red kite as these have alot of white I believe.  The tips edges of the wings were very ragged.

• Hi Steve,

Not sure why you have ruled out Red Kites. Rockingham Forest, Northants was one of their reintroduction areas. They do have white patches on the underside of their wings but otherwise are rusty red underneath like this.

At this time of year the wing tips can look quite ragged as they moult their primaries in pairs one at a time from each wing 

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• red kite was my 1st thought, but googled that pic above. I dont recall seeing any white and the one above has quite alot, unmissable. I saw just a very strong rusty red. wing tips were similar, but altogether much more raggerty I thought. it was quite close (flew across my path for at least 5-10 seconds.
  • I can't really suggest anything else. What time of day was this as lighting can affect ones perception of what you see?
    Let's see if anyone else has an idea of what it might have been.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• 3pm. monday. U r probably right about the perception thing, had crossed my mind, It was an impressive sight tho, Not noticed these before, I drive that route very regularly, but will sure keep my eyes peeled.
  • Just had a look in my RSPB book 'What's that bird' and it definitely looks like a Red Kite.