Is there a Duty Moderator?

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Well Bob Saltholme is the nearest RSPB reserve for me as well as I live in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear and before 2009 there wasn’t even Saltholme, I would probably before then had to go to Yorkshire or Cumbria to be able to visit my nearest RSPB reserve. But I didn’t just join the RSPB because there’s no near RSPB reserves to visit, I joined because I believe in there cause to protect birds and other wildlife and I’ve been a member of the RSPB since approx 1973. Just to say I’m also a member of the Northumberland Wildlife Trust.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

Non members still come up with interesting input on the forum Ian. People have been banned in the past but considering the amount of usage the forum gets the amount of abuse is fairly light in my opinion.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Got to admit, I'm with Thomo on this and agree it should be RSPB members only. I haven't been to an RSPB reserve for about 5 years since Highnam became restricted access. I also haven't beent o WWT for about 4 years. I am members of both because I want to help fund their work, not because I want to save money.

There aren't many people posting on here now, so it could be argued it might as well be switched off anyway, until management decided to provide a format that people like.

• In reply to Robbo:

There aren't many people posting on here now, so it could be argued it might as well be switched off anyway, until management decided to provide a format that people like

Obviously I disagree about non members using the Forums - in fact the Forums ought to be used to attract new members, though that is hardly going to happen in their current state. If they did switch them off then I suspect that they would never recover as that would be the end of the hard core remainers who are doing their best to keep them alive. 

However, I can see a point where the RSPB would decide to close the Forums because they cannot improve on the current software to the benefit of the current users. I can see that they would rely on their use of Blogs to get their message out and settle for the interaction between RSPB and members that way. We already know that they feel the ability of Forum members to interact amongst themselves to be an added bonus and that if that can't be fixed at reasonable cost then it it would be no surprise to have it removed. it would be a sad day though understandable. I think the biggest disappointment for most of the Forum users, whether they be RSPB members or not, is the lack of any communication. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Agreed. Could have been a good way of attracting new members. However, both this version and previous, probably cost membership rather than increased it. Members (incl me) can get fed up, fall out or disillusioned online and that's a recipe for membership cancellation. There is, imo, very little in the set up to drive membership growth. Got to also admit I'd rather RSPB staff costs be more focussed on nature reserves and research, rather than webcams, P.R. and I.T. There needs to be some budget allocated for that, but I believe it's tipped far too far away from front line.

Agreed also re communication and I won't get started on lack of UAT that I've kept banging on about both while management still had a chance to do some, and afterwards.

IMO, blogs should be at the forefront of the community. Niche stuff should be linked off one or two small sections, not littered across the homepage. Simple homepage with categories so anyone not interested in webcams and hundreds of ospreys can avoid seeing that stuff and other people's posts don't disappear from view in less than 24hrs for most months of the year.

• In reply to Robbo:

What I don't understand about their attitude, is that the forum is doing a great job for people who have a sick or injured bird, questions about birds & wildlife in general etc. They come on & get help straight away. Where else would they go if they aren't on facebook!! Especially weekends.

Come on RSPB, we are worth keeping but if you don't do something soon, there won't be anyone left!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

I wouldn’t build your hope up about anything happening soon from RSPB staff, as I remember the last change that happened a number of years ago and no one from the RSPB replied back to members concerns about the changes and a number of forum members left these forums on that occasion and never returned. I also emailed Mick Clarke the Executive Director of the RSPB and he replied to me by email which was quite nice. But despite Mike Clarke’s reply, nothing changed.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to SunnyKate2:

Agree totally, I already Moderate on a couple of groups,(Non RSPB), in this very capacity, i.e 'ensuring the groups are run in accordance with Forum rules'.

Is this when the BBC boards closed down about 15 years ago Kate, I know one someone started they called it FON?

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to James:

Is this when the BBC boards closed down about 15 years ago Kate, I know one someone started they called it FON?

??

• In reply to SunnyKate2:

??

The mind boggles ! Sounds like it was translated from Double-dutch! LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France