Is there a Duty Moderator?

Just wondering if a Duty Moderator exists and whether or not they do anything about reported threads.

Do they look at the post and make their own decision?

Do they contact the person who reported the Post?

Just wondering.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• I do agree Bob. I’m wondering if you have reported a certain post like I’ve done this evening?

Regards,

Bob.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

I also flagged something inappropriate IMO, how do these people get past the checkpoints?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I think they are on extended holiday as one I flagged up about lawfirms 20 days ago is still on here. Frankly this forum is going down the pan very quickly through no fault of the forum members who really care about it. Such a shame.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Well nearly 24 hours later the post that I reported by myself and others as well, is still shown on these forums. Where are the moderators who should be available to see all the reports by myself and others. It’s a very worrying and unsatisfactory situation when no action seems to be happening. As someone else said, are all the moderators on holiday?

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to WendyBartter:

how do these people get past the checkpoints?

What checkpoints???

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

When they join as new members of the RSPB Community Forums.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• I’ve always thought that just RSPB members should be allowed to post on the RSPB Community Forum and that to register and sign in you should have to put your RSPB membership number to access these forums and be allowed to post. Then if someone posts something that infringes the terms and conditions of these forums, the staff at the RSPB knows who that person is and if the need be can ban them from posting on these forums and then they can’t re-register as a member of these forums using a different username and different email address as the only way to get access to tbese forums is by signing in with your RSPB membership number and if banned there’s no other way of getting access to these forums to post. I think it’s the only way of stopping all the spamming posts over the last few years as well as all those 1000’s of posts from the Far East when the RSPB Forums and on at least 2 occasions in the past when that happened the RSPB Forum has to be closed for quite a while when all those Far Eastern Chinese posts took over the this forum. I think the only way to make the RSPB Forum safer is to just allow RSPB members to post as the Moderators at present don’t seem to be active or reading the reports sent in to them about certain posts.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

I’ve always thought that just RSPB members should be allowed to post on the RSPB Community Forum and that to register and sign in you should have to put your RSPB membership number to access these forums and be allowed to post.

Afraid that you would lose a lot of people in that case, including myself. At the moment my money goes to local Wildlife Trusts as they have more facilities in our area, with the only usable RSPB site being Saltholme - that's a 90 mile round trip. As with all Forums/ facebook groups etc, there should be some Moderators to prevent unwanted Posts. If this software is really up to the task, there should be no reason why trusted Forum members cannot be added as Moderators, whose only powers should be the removal of irrelevant posts, with RSPB staff acting as Administrators with the power to remove people.

I can't believe that there are any checks carried out on people joining the Forums as that would take up far too much time - I suspect that the only security check carried out is one that prevents a robot from joining and posting lots of Spam - such as all that Korean stuff.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to THOMO:

’ve always thought that just RSPB members should be allowed to post on the RSPB Community Forum and that to register and sign in you should have to put your RSPB membership number to access these forums and be allowed to post.

Good idea in principle but that knocks me out too, I'm a member of the French equivalent, "LPO".

I agree with Bob that a few responsible members could do the job very well. In the old days someone was always at hand if an argument on line got a bit heated. I even had one of mine closed down!!

Best wishes

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

If this software is really up to the task, there should be no reason why trusted Forum members cannot be added as Moderators, whose only powers should be the removal of irrelevant posts, with RSPB staff acting as Administrators with the power to remove people.

Agree totally, I already Moderate on a couple of groups,(Non RSPB), in this very capacity, i.e 'ensuring the groups are run in accordance with Forum rules'.

This truly does free the time of personnel, dealing with behind the Forums necessary work, if anything needing more authority, then temporarily blocking the Member and moving post to a 'holding administrator only thread 'solves most issues, and since this was introduced, inappropriate posts,/spammers etc dont bother as they know the sites are regularly/ heavily moderated.

Am sure there would be several  , Willing,Trusted Members .