It is not always obvious where you can post things

• In reply to THOMO:

THOMO said:

Just read it and see.

With respect, it isn't in there. That is why I've asked a reasonable question.

• In reply to THOMO:

It was discussed a lot a few years ago by RSPB by CEO Mike Clark.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

Thanks. I think either Mike or yourself are mistaken. Neither the Woodland Trust you referred to, RSPB, or any other large charity that I know of has to manage their land for all wildlife. That would be tantamount to gross incompetence. I would cancel my membership with immediate effect if RSPB or WWT ever signed up to that.

• In reply to Robbo:

The problem with Facebook, that this forum is less susceptible to, is policing.  As a ringer, I am well aware of the problems caused by less than perfect photographs or incautious comments coming back to haunt people on facebook (never had the problem myself but seen some awful examples). This forum is less open to infiltration by YFTB and co, less easy to subvert - no matter how deliberately obtuse some posters might choose to be.

Simon Tucker

• In reply to Simon Tucker:

Got to admit, I stopped using Facebook years ago. Not sure the forum is less (or more) easy to subvert. I don't think it'll change anyway. More likely to be pulled, imo, than have the architecture tailored better.

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:

I tend to agree with RSPB about not spending too many resources on this forum, not least because it lost its way during the infamous 'upgrade' of about 6ish years ago. Finding an obvious place to post anything can be a challenge, especially for new posters, which this site was meant to have been trying to encourage.

I too agreed with Simon last year when the same membership card issue/concern was raised. I hope it gets seriously considered this time. I am also concerned about staff Final Salary pension scheme still being open to existing staff. I would always say, 'good luck to them' in corporate organisations willing to fund those schemes, but am not impressed with a charity funding something that the vast majority of those contributing to it are not blessed with and haven't been for many years.

I've never heard of 'Annual' Fellowship. I'll have to read up on it.

I do know that Annual Fellowship was publicised by the RSPB when I first joined that organisation back in the 1970's, but I haven't seen anything mentioned on the RSPB website or magazine for that catagory for many years. Possibly Annual Fellowship is still in excinstence for those who joined in that category many years ago and are still allowed to keep that membership category, but possibly it's not available for new members to get now. Possibly only Life Fellow Catagory and standard Anunual Membership is only available now for new members.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

Thanks Thomo. I haven't found anything yet. You could well be right re Fellowship.

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:

Thanks Thomo. I haven't found anything yet. You could well be right re Fellowship.

I do know Annual Fellows catagory was still being advertised up until the early 2000's, but i haven't seen that category advertised for at least 9-10 years approx.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

THOMO said:
    Possibly only Life Fellow Catagory and standard Anunual Membership is only available now for new members.

I think you're right there.    Certainly 'annual fellowship' is a category unknown to me.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Do you mean I have been conned? Have they been taking money of me for a status that doesn't exist? Not that I care: it is a vicarous way of contributing to their coffers.

Simon Tucker